title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lame 3.99 release today 10/16/2011

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Lame 3.99 release today 10/16/2011

The latest version of LAME , 3.99.3, is out on the ravewares site. It reverts back to the old header and now works fine with DMC. As Spoon pointed out, the issues were with changes in LAME, not DMC, and this points out the prudent approach Spoon takes in thoroughly vetting LAME changes before updating the encoder in DMC.

For what it's worth, using 3.99.3 with DMC, I see "3.99r" as the "encoded by" data when viewing files in Windows Explorer. Consistent with what I tried, you should only need to replace the LAME.exe file and nothing else. Separately, there is a raging debate going on in the hydrogenaudio forum concerning a revised way of referring to LAME versions, so keep in mind the encoder version data could continue to change in the coming weeks for 3.99.3, and certainly will change in the future given the character limits on version identification. Spoon is all over this issue and made a recommendation to deal with it, so I would not worry about using 3.98.4 as shipped with DMC unless you have a rare sound artifact that 3.98.4 does not deal with well. The hydrogenaudio forums are the place to go to get into the details of shortcomings with different versions of LAME.
    Last edited by twit; 12-05-2011 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezz View Post
    I discovered there is also a text file called "mp3 (Lame).txt", located at \dBpoweramp\Versions\Compression\ which contains the Lame version (currently set to "Lame 3.98.4"). I'm guessing that the contents of this text file is placed into the "Encoder" ID3 tag by dBpoweramp. So even if you replace the .exe file with a newer one, the ID3 tag will still refer to the older version unless you update this .txt file too - which is a bit of an annoyance, IMHO. I'd love to have an easier way of updating the version of Lame used by just dropping in a new .exe and not having to change anything else.
    Thanks for this! I wondered how to change the version number in the program itself and this does it: -

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Keep in mind that changing that .txt file only impacts what dBpoweramp Configuration displays - what is actually written in to the ID3 tag is only impacted by your lame.exe version. No need to do anything to any other file other than replacing your lame.exe to get the proper ID3 tag for 3.99.3.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Thanks for this! I wondered how to change the version number in the program itself and this does it: -

Yes I have this but the encoder in my mp3 files is always Xing :cry: