title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Music Converter - Automatic Selection of Optimal "Multi-CPU Force" Setting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fastfwd
    • Sep 2011

Music Converter - Automatic Selection of Optimal "Multi-CPU Force" Setting

For every combination of drive speed, CPU speed, source format, and target format, there's an optimal setting for the "Multi-CPU Force" DSP. On my laptop with external USB drives, for example, I get the highest ALAC-to-FLAC speed with 3 or 5 CPUs, the highest "m4a optimize" speed with just 1 CPU, and the highest ALAC-to-AAC speed with all 8 CPUs... But the numbers are different for flash drives, different for my desktop, etc.

To discover the right setting for every situation, it's necessary to perform test conversions with each Multi-CPU Force setting. This is tedious.

It would be great if the Multi-CPU Force DSP had an "Automatic" setting which would dynamically vary the number of CPUs as it converted until it found the best (i.e., fastest) setting.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Music Converter - Automatic Selection of Optimal "Multi-CPU Force" Setting

There is no simple formula, as the CPU speed, IO of source, IO of destination all play a part. Only through trying can you manually find the sweet spot.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• fastfwd
      • Sep 2011

Re: Music Converter - Automatic Selection of Optimal "Multi-CPU Force" Setting

I agree 100% that it is necessary to try each setting in order to find the sweet spot. I'm suggesting that the application can do the trying so I don't have to.

If I were doing a batch conversion of 15000 songs, for instance, Music Converter could try 1 CPU for the first n songs, then 2 CPUs for the next n songs, then 3 CPUs for the next n, etc. After it tried all the settings and found the sweet spot, it would use that setting for the remaining 14000+ songs.

Comment

Working...

]]>