title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beta: mp4 Codec Beta 4

Administrator

Beta: mp4 Codec Beta 4

Beta Closed, replaced with Beta 5.
    Last edited by Spoon; 08-03-2003 at 05:01 PM.

Unregistered
    This seems to be working wonderfully. I am only using it to playback files encoded on a mac. I have one VERY strange problem. I the dBpowerAMP music collection, when I try to add a m4a file that contains a classical piece the "Music Collection" app crashes.

It seems to be importing everything else properly. Maybe something with the tags? Very odd.

Thanks,
    Matt

Administrator
    Please email me that classical file 'dbpoweramp@dbpoweramp.com'

I have two problems on this. Some files are converted a little bit longer or shorter, about 1~2 seconds. I tested b3 & b4. (not tested with alter codec)

(Same problem on OGG CLI codec. In this case some files become longer, not shorter. It seems like that there's a "stretch rate", because 10 min file gets more longer then 3 min one.)

And some files are converted incompletely. For example, A 5 min mp3 file comes out as 10 sec mp4 file.

Those two problem are regular, happen on specific files every time. May I send you them?
    Last edited by dnewtype; 07-03-2003 at 11:56 PM.

Administrator
    Yes please do with a little note.

Unregistered
    I'm also having a few probs whilst transferring converted aac files over to ipod,

sometimes despite manually renaming the files in sveta using the tag function, the songs on ipod are all without name tags...

?

Unless i just didn't wait until the database had been updated? Can't remember...

How does the fastenc compare to other encoders like qt or nero?
    Is it worth waiting till some benchmark encoder has established itself (like LAME for mp3's?)...

Or is the discrepency in encoding quality not noticable?

Administrator
    To update the database you must close the 'Sveta Explorer' then disconnect the iPod.

Fastenc comes out ok, in a recent test Qt was top, then aacenc then nero I think. The average bloke will not hear any difference.

Jason
    i personally dont like it
    i had a guns n' roses mp3 file [paradise city] at 6meg
    converted it to mp4 it ended up 8 meg i used the "normal" setting
    from everything i read mp4 is supposed to be low bitrate with 0% quality loss so i ran it again only i used the 48kps setting file was smaller but i noticed a considerable sound quality differance

my openion on mp4:

mp3 is better ogg is the best
    mp4 files are larger [at least on my comp] at the same bit rate as mp3

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    >from everything i read mp4 is supposed to be low bitrate with 0% quality loss

This is not true. consult www.hydrogenaudio.org for more.

(On a side note. Does anyone else notice that the MP4 threads have over 13,000 Views put together?
    Last edited by Joseph; 07-16-2003 at 11:38 PM.

Administrator
    >48kps setting file was smaller

That is very low, try 128Kbps.

Lneidorf

Question AAC / MP4 Codec issue

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    >48kps setting file was smaller

That is very low, try 128Kbps.
    Hi there.

After perusing the FAQ's and forums, this seemed the best place to ask for some help. I've got a PC with Windows 2000. Got me a new iPod and have been using dbPowerAMP to rip mp4's/AAC. One problem: the files consistently encode @ 170 kb/s. I try to select 128 from the compression setting menu, but it always outputs at 170. I was thinking 128 would be a better compromise for me between quality / file size. Any advice on how to get that setting to stick?

Cheers!

Administrator
    I think it is just the display of the bitrate that is wrong. I just wrote a 128Kbps mp4, it said it was 106Kbps but the file size was the same as a 128Kbps mp3 file.

Unregistered
    I think it is just the display of the bitrate that is wrong. I just wrote a 128Kbps mp4, it said it was 106Kbps but the file size was the same as a 128Kbps mp3 file.
    Ya know, I didn't think of trying that. But I just did, and the file is indeed larger in mp4 format. It truly appears to be encoding at 160 kbps. What I neglected to mention is that whenever I check the compression settings dialogue for mp4, it always defaults to "normal" setting (which seems to equate to @ 160 kbps), regardless of whether I have selected 128 kbps. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

Administrator
    This sounds like a little bug in Audio CD Input, if you move the mouse over the value it jumps to the show the correct one (the correct one was always set).

LNeidorf
    This sounds like a little bug in Audio CD Input, if you move the mouse over the value it jumps to the show the correct one (the correct one was always set).
    It's not just a display issue. I wasn't very clear with my last posting. The issue is that I don't seem to be able to get Audio CD Input to encode mp4 files at 128 kbps. It's more than a display issue: the setting defaults to "normal" and encodes at 160 kbps. I don't know if the setting "normal" is meant to be 160 kbps or not. Regardless, the program seems to not like a setting of 128. I haven't tried slecting other settings--I should probably give that a try. Still, 128 kbps is the setting I'd like to use. Also, of note is that when I mouse over it, the "normal" setting doesn't change. Suggestions?

Again, thanks very much!