title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Music Converter r13.5 and codecs using 30GB of space in Programs and Features. Why??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jimmy Starbuck
    • Oct 2011

Music Converter r13.5 and codecs using 30GB of space in Programs and Features. Why??

Hi there,
    I have just noticed in Programs and Features that the music converter and related installs are taking up over 30GB of space yet the overall size of my Illustrate folder in Program Files (x86) is only 24MB!! The breakdown is as follows:

dbpoweramp music converter 14.3GB
    dbpoweramp dsp effects 8.68GB
    dbpoweamp Ogg Vorbis codec 2.46GB
    dbpoweramp m4a codec 1.55GB
    dbpoweramp [idtag update] codec 823MB

My operating system is Windows 7 64 bit.

Please can someone explain why this is happening? The installation sizes rival the biggest games I have installed!! I would just do a reinstallation but I would like to know exactly wtf is on my hard drive first. FYI the overall file sizes bear no relation to my music archives as that is 100GB. To find such a huge amount of unaccounted for data on my drive is extremely concerning, especially with all these trojan false positives floating around.

Please help!!!
  • dbfan
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jan 2011

Re: Music Converter r13.5 and codecs using 30GB of space in Programs and Features. Wh

Windows is just estimating the usage wrong

Comment

• Jimmy Starbuck
      • Oct 2011

Re: Music Converter r13.5 and codecs using 30GB of space in Programs and Features. Wh

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't mean to sound ungrateful but... are you sure? Is this a recognised problem? It doesn't occur in any other programs and why would Windows make such a vastly incorrect estimate? Just a little more info would reassure me and others out there experiencing the same problem. Perhaps the reason why I am concerned by this is because my av claims the cdripper is a high security risk. Along with all those false positives that people keep mentioning I perhaps am understandably concerned. I also haven't found any other mention of this on your forums which is strange for such a massive discrepancy. Thanks.

Comment

• dbfan
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jan 2011

It has always been reported wrong.

Comment

• nkohesiv
          • Dec 2011

I see the same thing on my computer. So, what is the actual usage by DBPoweramp and like Jimmy Starbuck ask's, should we be worried about these incorrect values?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

If you installed every program we publish, it would take up less than 200MB. Do not be worried by the values.

PS the correct value is now written by the installer (for the next time you update dBpoweramp with a new beta or release).
            Last edited by Spoon; 12-06-2011, 02:41 PM.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Flynike
              • Feb 2005

First, I discovered my installation was taking up 16GB! Then I found this thread. Then I ran WinDirStat to see graphically, as well as numerically, how much space was being used. The Illustrate folder was not even visible in the graph. Reported size on drive by WinDirStat: 22.6 MB. (I have the feeling that Spoon has been asked this question a zillion times)

Comment

Working...

]]>