title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Feature: Batch convert to new location retaining existing folder structure.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nlandas
    • May 2011

Feature: Batch convert to new location retaining existing folder structure.

Does anyone know if it is possible to batch convert a large number of files in a specific folder structure to a new location, without having to copy the whole folder there, convert in place and then delete the old files? In other words, if I have a well organized folder setup with lots of FLAC files in them and I want to convert them all to MP3s into a new location with the exact same folder structure, is there a way to do that?

If not that is something that I'd really love as an option.
  • dbfan
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jan 2011

Re: Feature: Batch convert to new location retaining existing folder structure.

Yes use dynamic naming set to

Mp3\[origpath]\[origfilename]

Comment

• mville
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2008

Yes it is possible.

1. On the top level folder, right click and select the dBpoweramp Batch Converter.

2. The dBpoweramp Batch Converter opens. Click the Convert button.

3. Choose your codec (mp3 in your case) and use the Dynamic option in Output location.

Try it on a test location (with just a few flac files) until you master the Dynamic output location options.

Good luck.

Comment

• sexon
        • Oct 2011

Batch Converter Problems for Newbie,

Gents I only purchased this yesterday and am getting the feel of it. I have over 80gb of assorted music files which i want to convert to FLAC.

I do not seem to see the batch convert option, where do i find it as i am being forced to do an album at a time which i dont want.

Secondly, doing the conversion process, do i get the tags etc that are missing from the current folders?

Finally, I would like to save space and only retain the converted files, delete the old types, how do i do this.

Sorry if covered already, just could not locate after anything after a search.

Thanks.

PS i bought the DBP reference.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Start >> Programs >> dBpoweramp Music Converter >> dBpoweramp Batch Converter
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BrodyBoy
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Sep 2011

Hit the Windows button and type "batch converter" in the search bar. Select the Batch Converter to open the program. (It's located in the dBpoweramp Music Converter program folder.)

The main window is where you select all the files and folders you wish to convert.

The dBpoweramp Music Converter window is where you select the conversion options that make dBp so powerful. You select your codec (and its options), your output location, your naming scheme, and any of a wide variety of DSP options.

As to filling in missing tags, that doesn't happen automatically. A basic conversion simply converts to the new format and (usually) carries over the existing tags. There is an ID Tag Processing DSP option that can help with some basic clean-up and standardization, but you can't add tags from an online database like you can in the CD Ripper. If the information isn't there in the original file anywhere, the Music Converter has no way to automatically add it.

You specify your new location and naming scheme to organize the newly-converted files where you want them. The "Delete Source File" DSP does just what it says....it'll delete the original files after converting them and saving to the new location. You can choose whether to permanently delete or just send to the Recycle Bin. Use this DSP cautiously when processing large numbers of files!

Comment

• sexon
              • Oct 2011

Thank you very much for your help both, i was really struggling. Brody, your diagram and search advice worked first time. i am no computer guru, so simple and easy did it, especially the diagram, thank you very much.

da man, many thanks again for yours, this renaming in dynamic output seemed to work for me [artist]\[origfilename]. i felt proud tinkering anf coming up with a result.

i wish there was a way of getting those tags but getting the music all into flac is great. thanks dbpower, am sure will be back with a few more calls for helps.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by sexon
                i wish there was a way of getting those tags but getting the music all into flac is great. thanks dbpower, am sure will be back with a few more calls for helps.
                Hey, glad to help! :smile2:

Are you missing A LOT of tags? Though you can't add them during your conversion process, there are certainly other ways to add them before/after. There are several programs that can load music files and access online databases to gather metadata.

Comment

• sexon
                  • Oct 2011

Thanks again brodyboy. thanks for directing me towards batch converter. last night i selected the convert all of 'My Music' folder, some 7200 odd files. i woke up this morning excited but found the conversion did not take place (i ensured the computer would run all night, no hibernate etc). there were no error messages, so not sure what's happening. i tried again this morning to do the batch conversion and i could not get it to work...it just said converting 7200 files and that seemed to take forever.

i could however get the single conversion to work quite easily. could there be something buried within one of the files stopping the conversion. i looked at the filterchoices to figure out if removing a few more options would make a difference, no chance.

please advise again.

if you know where i can get tags please advise, need them badly :-)

best wishes,

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Sep 2011

7200 files is a lot to do at once!! I've never tried processing anywhere near that many in one pass...maybe there's an internal limit I don't know about. Spoon can weigh in on that.

As for tags, MediaMonkey can gather tag data from the web, and includes some pretty decent tag editing functions. If you need to process a lot of albums, it's probably the most efficient option. To be clear, though, getting complete, accurate, and consistent tags is never really an automatic process. Databases have errors, and programs like MediaMonkey, etc., can't always match your files to the exact release of the album. Depending on how meticulous you are, accuracy and consistency requires a fair amount of human "oversight and intervention."

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

There should not be a limit.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• sexon
                        • Oct 2011

Many thanks again for your timely responses. i will check media monkey and see if i get any luck.

Da Man, if there is no limit, could there be a reason why i am not being successful, it may be my inexperience i dont know. but i am doing it the same way i did the single album conversion.

please advise.

with best wishes,

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

Before you start of the conversion (where the output codec is selected) click the list / rename button, this will show where the files are going.

Then do the conversion, it will take awhile until the first file processes as each file has its metadata read, once it is off (after counting tracks) look to see if the first file on the list / rename list appears.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• sexon
                            • Oct 2011

Spoon,

Many thanks, went through that as advised, all files listed but still would not do it. second night no joy, so i am currently doing a batch at a time which will take days i reckon. any more thoughts, cheers guys.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Sep 2011

So you can do smaller batches and it completes just fine? How many files (approximately) are you doing at a time?

So according to Spoon's description, it would take a long time before you'd start to see the converted files show up in the output location. Any chance you're just not waiting long enough? (No offense intended there. I've just never processed such huge batches so I really have no idea how long it would take.)

Comment

Working...

]]>