title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: quad core

quad core

when i converted files with my my old system dual core cpu,music converter would convert 2 files at same time,now i have upgraded to a quad core cpu i would expect to convert 4 files at once,but it only convert 1 file at a time:(

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: quad core

Only Reference supports multi-CPU encoding. Is that what you're using, and is it activated?

Is any option to make multi-core automatic for all convertors? It's not obvious to add DSP (Multi-CPU Force) for this.

dBpoweramp Music Converter: Unregistered Trial (21 days remain)
    Release 14.2
    DSP Effects: Release 7

Win7 64 Home Premium
    Phenom II X4 (4 cores)

Administrator

If encoding to a lossy format then multiple cpus are used, if encoding to lossless then it is not. There is not option outside ofhte force multi-cpu dsp effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If encoding to a lossy format then multiple cpus are used, if encoding to lossless then it is not. There is not option outside ofhte force multi-cpu dsp effect.
    Has this issue ever been resolved? I have the same problem with dbPoweramp v 16.6, 64 bit. For instance, converting two .aac files to mp3 (LAME encoder) converts @ 31x / 3:51 with the multi-cpu force enabled and set two to cores (whether Ally to Process is set or not). However, if I start the conversion then manually set the encode option to use two cores, the conversion rate increases to 55x and completes in 2:11. I wish there was a way to set dbPoweramp to default to using all available cores, but I've never found a method that works.

I now have version 16.6 and the config program says my registration status is "PowerPack registered." I presume this is different than the Reference version. I would upgrade to Reference if it would solve this issue, but would need some assurance that this would enable setting default conversion to multi-core whenever that is possible.

Administrator

R17 has had the internals redesigned, this has fixed this issue (both for multi encoder and encoding speed in general). You can try now until launch, it is in the testing section of this forum, install over the top of your existing.

A fast reply with good news. Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    R17 has had the internals redesigned, this has fixed this issue (both for multi encoder and encoding speed in general). You can try now until launch, it is in the testing section of this forum, install over the top of your existing.
    I beg to differ. Conversion from FLAC to MP3 used to use all 4 cores, many in parallel. Now, even with v17 installed AND Multiple CPU DSP effect added, dbpoweramp still only ever uses one of my CPU cores at a time. This feature worked great several version ago. One of the main reasons for purchasing this product was that I could store all my music in FLAC and rapidly (using 4 cores) create an MP3 version of an album for use in the car. Now It is taking forever, converting only one file at a time! Please fix this issue and please clarify whether the Multiple CPU DSP effect is required or not.

Administrator

Ensure you have R17 Reference, the reference is needed for multiple CPU conversions, run the Control Centre it will say which version is installed.