title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Certain ID Tags Incorrect for MP3s

Certain ID Tags Incorrect for MP3s

I'm ripping using the multi-encoder, one encoder for FLAC, and one encoder for MP3. For both, I am calculating ReplayGain for the track and album using the DSP Effects in the multi-encoder settings areas (as well as a number of other things). The ID Tags for the FLACs seem to be working fine, but for the MP3s certain ID tags are set to the tag name, minus the first letter. For instance, AccurateRipDiscID: on FLAC it's "013-00219f89-01544d08-ba111f0d-6" but on mp3 it's "ccurateRipDiscID". And for AccurateRipResult, on FLAC it's "AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 7) [6B29153F]" but on mp3 it's "ccurateRipResult". That's just two examples, but there are similar problems with Encoder ("ncoder" vs "FLAC 1.2.1"), replaygain_track_gain ("eplayga" vs "-5.4 dB"), replaygain_track_peak ("eplaygai" vs "0.974213"), and UPC ("PC" vs "720642483428"). I've got a screenshot, but I'm not sure how to upload it to the forum.

I was thinking this might be an artifact of the other problem I had where it fails to write to the .IGNORE file, but this seems to happen on every track, regardless of error.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Certain ID Tags Incorrect for MP3s

I have seen this before about 2 years ago, cannot remember what the cause was, it was something external to dbpoweramp.

If you use dbpoweramp to look at the I'd tags, (right click >> edit tag) does it show then wrong also.

Quote Originally Posted by ********* View Post
    If you use dbpoweramp to look at the I'd tags, (right click >> edit tag) does it show then wrong also.
    Yes

Ugh. On the other thread (see link below) you had suggested disabling the anti-virus software to get rid of the random errors regarding the .IGNORE files. I was curious if that would have any effect on the ID Tags of the mp3s, and sure enough, it did.

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...-.IGNORE-files

Since I have disabled the real-time scanner and firewall of McAfee Internet Security, the ID Tags of the new mp3 files being written are complete. The mp3s I ripped previously continue to have the problem -- so it has to be the files themselves that are wrong, not just the viewer. I've ripped 6 discs now with McAfee disabled, and none of the tracks have a problem (and no errors reported either).

Before disabling McAfee, dBpoweramp would only sometimes report errors (I'd say for about 75% of the discs ripped), and typically for just 1 or 2 tracks. Yet, every single mp3 ripped previously with dBpoweramp that I've looked at so far has the same 6 ID tags messed up, in the exact same way. All of them -- not just those where errors were reported. So it would seem that McAfee is interfering, but in a way not currently detected by dBpoweramp, at least not consistently. Luckily, the flacs seem to be fine, so I'll likely use the music convertor to replace the mp3s.

Is there an option to automatically verify the integrity of the file after it is written, including the metadata?

Obviously the best solution here is to get a better anti-virus product that doesn't corrupt data being written to a hard drive, but it would be nice to have a verification step in place to cover any yet undiscovered sources of corruption. I don't like the looming potential of needing to rip my CD collection again and again.

I just received an update to McAfee, so I restarted my machine afterward. I tried testing this again with McAfee turned back on, and now I am more confused. CD Ripper has gone back to reporting errors writing to the .IGNORE files (3 of 8 tracks this time), yet the ID tags on the mp3s were all written correctly.

I'm still interested if there is an option to verify the integrity of the files after they are written. I've got the option checked for flacs, but see nothing like that for mp3s, and I'm not sure if that covers the metadata at all for the flacs.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Selzhanik View Post
    I just received an update to McAfee, so I restarted my machine afterward. I tried testing this again with McAfee turned back on, and now I am more confused.
    This issue of antivirus/security software interfering with dBpoweramp is cropping up far too often IMHO. It is time that this issue is addressed one way or the other.

If you are experiencing problems and until a neat solution is found where dBpoweramp runs successfully alongside McAfee, Norton, AVG etc. I suggest TEMPORARILY disabling (through msconfig) or uninstalling your preferred antivirus/security software when ripping/converting with dBpoweramp.

Personally, I use Avast and have never experienced a problem when ripping/converting.

I decided to give this some more time before I posted again. I've disabled all of McAfee's real time scanning features -- howver this is through McAfee itself, and other past experiences have taught me that it might not *really* be completely disabled. I continue to get the same random errors (as described in http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...-.IGNORE-files), but much less often than with McAfee enabled. I would say I get the [clDecoder::WriteIDTags] errors on 1 of 5 discs, and the [clEncoder::EncodeBlock] errors on 1 of 10. The first error seems to have no effect on the resulting files -- I used to manually check each file that was reported to have a problem, but I've gotten to the point where I just ignore that error completely. The second error results in a bad file, and I'll have to re-rip. I have not seen the issue described in the original posting again, whether McAfee was disabled or not -- so maybe that was caused by something completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    This issue of antivirus/security software interfering with dBpoweramp is cropping up far too often IMHO. It is time that this issue is addressed one way or the other.
    While I can't honestly give McAfee praise for being a great product (I think it's terrible actually), it is a widely installed piece of AV software, and it would be nice to see the Illustrate guys address the issue more intentionally. I'd like to see the two programs co-exist peacefully, but when they cannot see some sort of definitive explanation as to why or exactly what is going wrong.

If you are experiencing problems and until a neat solution is found where dBpoweramp runs successfully alongside McAfee, Norton, AVG etc. I suggest TEMPORARILY disabling (through msconfig) or uninstalling your preferred antivirus/security software when ripping/converting with dBpoweramp.
    I do need to try this to discover if this would correct the problem entirely. I'm fairly convinced already that it would. At this point, I'm finding the pain of configuring / rebooting more that that of re-ripping 1 of 10 discs. But yeah, I need to try this.

Personally, I use Avast and have never experienced a problem when ripping/converting.
    My plan is to move to Avast as soon as my McAfee subscription runs out. I've heard a lot of praise for it.

Thanks for the reply.