title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Retention of embedded album art - FLAC to MP3

Unhappy Retention of embedded album art - FLAC to MP3

Very confused,

Been using dbpoweramp for a few years...never had an issue....until now.

I recently decided to move my lossless music collection from wma lossless to flac. dbpoweramp seemed to do the job perfectly all tags and album art preserved (as Art 1 in dbpoweramp reader).

I then created a portable version of the collection in mp3. All seemed well again - tags fine, album art as Art 1 in dppoweramp reader.

The issue is that no software except dbpoweramp (WMP, Shell, mp3tag, Android etc) recognises the album art in the mp3s.....the flac art is recognised by other tools.

Any help with this would be appreciated, mp3s made from my original wma lossless files using dbpoweramp worked perfectly.

Thanks in advance.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Retention of embedded album art - FLAC to MP3

You probably have dbpoweramp set to write ape tags, look in dbpoweramp configuration >> codecs >> advanced

Thanks for helping,

How can I be sure if APE is being used?

configuration >> codecs >> advanced does not mention APE under mp3 ID Tagging, but mp3tag states id3v1 (id3v1 APE)

Advanced audio compression tagging does contain the line "tag creation: APE" but these settings have never been changed.

Any ideas?

Administrator

If you have an older version of dBpoweramp (not R14) then you need to make the user account have administrator rights, then look on that page.

I upgraded yesterday.... But I was using Amin rights.

Now I have upgraded, thumbnails are being shown by windows, but this is because dbpoweramp is doing the reading now. If I wipe registry and reinstall, are you saying the default settings should work for other applications? It was always fine creating mp3 from wma.

Administrator

You have to make sure you are not writing APE tags, rather ID3v2 tags.

RESOLVED Thank you.

Sorry for the delay. Been away.

Appears to have been a combination of the dbpoweramp tag writing options as you suggested and other software not reading APE.

For anyone with a similar issue moving their electronic collection between formats...

I am now following conversions with mp3tag to write all tag formats to the files (id3 v1 v2.4 and APE2)

>Set dbpoweramp to write id3 v2 tags
    >Use dbpoweramp to convert music and translate initial tags
    >Set mp3tag settings to read id3 v2.x and chose as the tag formats you are after - read and write
    >Open converted files with mp3tag
    >Select all files and save (mp3 tag will write all the tag formats you have selected).

My entire music and audiobook collection is now fully recognised by all tools I use.

dbpoweramp and mp3tag make managing a large music collection easy. Thank you.:D