title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How to: (Big FLAC + CUE) => Separate FLAC files?

Smile How to: (Big FLAC + CUE) => Separate FLAC files?

After looking around the forum it appears that the following is currently not possible using dbPoweramp:

Input: ((Big FLAC File CD Album) + (Existing CUE File)) ==> Output: (Separate FLAC Files)

Please correct me if I am wrong! :smile2:

Thank you in advance!

Smile Re: How to: (Big FLAC + CUE) => Separate FLAC files?

I forgot to mention how I currently perform:

Input: ((Big FLAC File CD Album) + (Existing CUE File)) ==> Output: (Separate FLAC Files)

I use both dbPoweramp and EAC as follows:

Step 1: Use dbPoweramp to convert the Big FLAC to a Really Big WAV (uncompressed/lossless)
    Step 2: Edit the cue file and replace the xxxxxxxxxx.flac name to xxxxxxxxxx.wav. (you can use windows notepad)
    Step 3: Open EAC and goto Tools --> Split WAV By CUE Sheet --> Leave Out Gaps
    Step 4: EAC will ask you for the xxxxxxxxx.wav file location to open.
    Step 5: EAC will ask you for the CUE file to open.
    Step 6: Separate WAV files are created.
    Step 7: Use dbPoweramp to convert WAV files into FLAC files.
    Done

I should mention that the original Big FLAC and CUE files were created using EAC with no-gaps enabled.

Cheers. :smile2:
    Last edited by nfischer; 09-18-2011 at 02:21 AM. Reason: had wrong smily

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: How to: (Big FLAC + CUE) => Separate FLAC files?

Dbpoweramp will not split cue files

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nfischer View Post
    I use both dbPoweramp and EAC as follows:

Step 1: Use dbPoweramp to convert the Big FLAC to a Really Big WAV (uncompressed/lossless)
    Step 2: Edit the cue file and replace the xxxxxxxxxx.flac name to xxxxxxxxxx.wav. (you can use windows notepad)
    Step 3: Open EAC and goto Tools --> Split WAV By CUE Sheet --> Leave Out Gaps
    Step 4: EAC will ask you for the xxxxxxxxx.wav file location to open.
    Step 5: EAC will ask you for the CUE file to open.
    Step 6: Separate WAV files are created.
    Step 7: Use dbPoweramp to convert WAV files into FLAC files.
    Done

I should mention that the original Big FLAC and CUE files were created using EAC with no-gaps enabled.

Cheers. :smile2:
    Why??? Why on earth would you rip an album to flac (which actually means you ripped to wav and then ran it through a flac encoder)....as one big file....then convert that back to wav.....then manually edit a .cue file.....then go back into EAC to split the big wav file, and then convert...again...back to flac????

Why all those time-consuming steps? Why not just rip to separate files in the first place? Either EAC or dBp can do this perfectly.....in a single step. As ********* said, dBp isn't a .cue splitter (EAC really isn't really, either).....but either will will rip your files properly in the first place if you set them up right.

Smile Re: How to: (Big FLAC + CUE) => Separate FLAC files?

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    Why??? Why on earth would you rip an album to flac (which actually means you ripped to wav and then ran it through a flac encoder)....as one big file....then convert that back to wav.....then manually edit a .cue file.....then go back into EAC to split the big wav file, and then convert...again...back to flac????

Why all those time-consuming steps? Why not just rip to separate files in the first place? Either EAC or dBp can do this perfectly.....in a single step. As ********* said, dBp isn't a .cue splitter (EAC really isn't really, either).....but either will will rip your files properly in the first place if you set them up right.
    Howdy BroodyBoy: Thank you for your concern. The method for this madness is only from the necessity of the data I am given. I have a catalogue of several CD rips (I do not have access to the original CDs) many of which are all in the (Big FLAC + CUE) format. In order to get these into my brandnew iPod 4G with lossless quality I need to convert these all into m4a files. The rest is history. :smile2:

I should note that Step 7 (for my actual application) is:

My real Step 7: Use dbPoweramp to convert WAV files into Lossless M4A files.

I used FLAC in my Step 7 example to keep folks out of the unnecessary details of my IPod 4G application.

Cheers!

PS: I love dbPoweramp :komisch9:
    Last edited by nfischer; 09-18-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: formatting error at end

dBpoweramp Guru

Ah, then you simply need a cue splitter. (It can also be done manually, in programs like Quicktime or Audacity, but that's awfully tedious. Just get a cue splitter and you should be good to go.)

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    Ah, then you simply need a cue splitter. (It can also be done manually, in programs like Quicktime or Audacity, but that's awfully tedious. Just get a cue splitter and you should be good to go.)
    Howdy again BrodyBoy:

I was looking at getting a cue splitter, but I was quite wary of which one to use. The only real app's I trust to use (in the world of all things sound) are dbPoweramp, EAC and Soundbooth CS5. I am not familiar with other apps, so I wanted to work with things I know and trust thats all. :smile2:
    Last edited by nfischer; 09-18-2011 at 06:41 PM. Reason: My apostrophe turned into unwanted code! I fixed that.

dBpoweramp Guru

I have to use a cue splitter (well...I don't have to, but I want to ), for some operas that are ripped from vinyl. You basically end up with Side 1, Side 2, etc, and I like it broken up a little more, like it typically is when that same opera is released on CD. So I find the cue files I need online, usually having to tweak them a little bit due to the longer gaps on vinyl sides, and then I use Medieval Cue Splitter to break up the vinyl rip. I've used it for awhile and never had any problems with it.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kryten100 View Post
    Maybe he wants to create a compilation disc and wants some individual tracks to do that with? I've done that myself many times.
    No, he clarified that it's because he's not actually ripping the CDs himself (I suppose he's downloading them from somewhere), so he's starting with one big file + CUE. I guess he was hoping that dBp included a splitter function so he could do all of his processing of these downloads in one program.

dBpoweramp Guru

I believe foobar2000 will do exactly what you want to do. (convert file/cue to separate files (of any sort...flac, wav, aac, etc.)