title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How do I get PerfectMeta tags AFTER ripping?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fastfwd
    • Sep 2011

How do I get PerfectMeta tags AFTER ripping?

I have a few hundred albums in ALAC format with no tags, either because they were originally ripped to tagless WAV and then converted to ALAC, or because they were ripped on a PC with no internet connection. They all have track numbers in their filenames and are sorted one disc per directory, so I can easily construct each album's list of tracks in the correct order.

How do I get PerfectMeta tags for those files without spending 25-30 hours re-ripping the CDs? If I have to insert each CD in the drive so dBpoweramp can read the TOC or something, that's cool, but I REALLY don't want to spend 3 minutes on each disc again.

And...

Similarly, I have some albums that were ripped to ALAC using iTunes, so those rips were never checked against the AccurateRip database. How do I check those ripped albums against the AccurateRip database now, without re-ripping them?

Thanks.
    Last edited by fastfwd; 09-13-2011, 03:30 AM. Reason: Added the AccurateRip question.
  • dbfan
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jan 2011

Re: How do I get PerfectMeta tags AFTER ripping?

Both require that your CDs are ripped with dbpoweramp

Comment

• fastfwd
      • Sep 2011

Some of the discs WERE ripped with dBpoweramp, but with no internet connection for communicating with the CD databases... But I guess you mean that PerfectMeta and AccurateRip can only be used while actually ripping the CD.

Is that a deliberate limitation, or is it possible that Illustrate will make it possible to run ripped files through the PerfectMeta algorithm or check them against the AccurateRip database?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

The software is not designed to lookup after ripping.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• fastfwd
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Spoon
          The software is not designed to lookup after ripping.
          Yeah, I noticed. Ok, I'll write a script for fb2k or something.

Thank you.

Comment

• Porcus
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Feb 2007

Personally, I think that Discogs is a pretty good tag source, so whenever I need to retag, I use Mp3Tag or foobar2000 to retrieve from Discogs (except when Discogs changes its interface, i.e. twice a day or so :-/ ). But then, whenever I need to retag a CD I have ripped, then I have already used PerfectMeta upon ripping.

Anyway, you can speed up a fair bit:

1) Insert the CD.
            2) Wait for metadata to appear.
            3) Hit Rip. Then skip track, skip track, skip track etc.

I think you should now have each 'track' in a lot of well-named well-tagged unplayable file. Then transfer tags from these to your old ones. (You could for example use Mp3Tag -- its copy + paste function works on tag sets. Just be certain that you have the target files in precisely the same order as the source files.)

Comment

• fastfwd
              • Sep 2011

Thanks, Porcus. I ended up using Foobar2000 to check CRCs against the AccurateRip database and to get tags for those discs that passed the AR check, and then I used dBpa to re-rip the discs that didn't pass. At that point I had 1000 discs originally ripped with dbPa/PerfectMeta, 200 re-ripped with dBpa/PerfectMeta, and 300 with only adequate tags and no artwork.

The 300 had all passed AR, so I knew they'd re-rip very quickly. Rather than spend 3 minutes hunting down art and fixing tags for each disc, I just re-ripped them all with dBpa/PerfectMeta. Took a few days, but now all my tracks have a full set of reliable tags and most of them have artwork.

Comment

Working...

]]>