title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: ReplayGain values calculated during conversion and after it are different.

ReplayGain values calculated during conversion and after it are different.

Hello, I was converting some files from FLAC to mp3 and I wanted to have the result files to have ReplayGain tags on them; so the first thing that came through my mind was to use the ReplayGain DSP while converting to mp3. As calculating the ReplayGain tags after converted is another option too I tried it with one file to see if the calculated results were the same, but they aren't.

I thought it may be because I was using the VBR mode, which I don't know if it is deterministic or not, so I switched over to CBR but the same thing happended.

E.g.:

Calculated during conversion:
    · RG value: -2.95 dB
    · RG peak: 0.960175

Calculated after the conversion (vía RG utility codec):
    · RG value: -2.94 dB
    · RG peak: 0.956994

Why are they different? Which one should be used/trusted?

Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: ReplayGain values calculated during conversion and after it are different.

You may be transferring the FLAC RG tags over to the mp3 files. In dbpa configuration settings, click on the music converter tab. Toward the bottom is a check box for "drop replay gain tags". This should be CHECKED. Then, in your conversion settings (from FLAC to mp3) you should have it using the Replay Gain DSP when it creates the mp3 files. This will create RG tags based on the mp3 files.

Re: ReplayGain values calculated during conversion and after it are different.

Thank you for your answer garym, I've just verified that the check box is checked. As it was already I unchecked it and checked it again, but the result was the same. The ReplayGain DSP during conversion gave me different calculations than "converting" again using the ReplayGain utility codec.