title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Suggestions to make perfect metadata ... more perfect and improve meta data entry

Suggestions to make perfect metadata ... more perfect and improve meta data entry

1) Perfect Metadata Review Window
    - It could be a great feature but in practice it's quite unusable because the data can't often be read on a small monitor like a laptop one (i listen to classical music and retrieved data text is often quite long, specially for title)
    - unresizable window
    - unresizable columns
    - too small fixed column size
    - no tooltip
    resizing ability is quite necessary for window and columns ; showing a tooltip for the current cell could be a workaround and would be the minimum expected?

- the window should simply show the selected providers (and extend the columns size if possible) : actually, even with only one selected provider, all the providers are shown with blank data for non selected ones and the visibility problem remains

- the ability to choose the tags to compare for the tracks would be useful (conductor, label, sort fields...): presently we can only compare the artist and composer tags

- include front album art to compare quickly the appearance of retrieved covers

2) Metadata providers usage
    Presently we can do a full search by clicking on the "Meta" button or choose a single provider by navigating threw the menu. Due to the visibility problem and partial data view of the Perfect Metadata Review Window, i use the meta data panel to compare the tags retrieved by different providers; i have to manually navigate through menu options to clear meta data and then choose the provider; repeating these operations is quite tedious.

- it could be easier with the ability to clear and choose quickly (without navigating through menu) between using all included services or only a single one, choosen by default or explicitly ; the active service(s) should remain visible after retrieving data (we can imagine some buttons or a combo box on the main panel);
    - the Meta menu settings could include the ability to choose the default Service and the precedence between the different services (if the default can't be used for technical reason)

i think these features could be useful even with a "true" perfect metadata review window

3) Meta data Entry Panel
    it's also a visibility problem ; the meta data panel is not resizable and displays few lines on a standard monitor ; the metadata are often too long and we have no caption to see the entire text without editing.
    - Offer the ability to resize the meta data panel (in width and height) to see and enter data more conveniently ; at least, show tooltip on the current cell.

4) Album Art Panel
    - Have a separate "choose album art" option to simply choose between covers retrieved by the providers : presently we can only use the "choose (from Internet)" option even if not interested by other covers, and we can't disable the internet search
    - Offer the ability to save a retrieved cover without having to rip the track (additional right click option in the <+> menu)

Remark : ISRC field is not written in my flac ripped files (ISRC is checked in CD Ripper options and Meta menu, technical infos say my drive can read it) ?

Thanks

Re: Suggestions to make perfect metadata ... more perfect and improve meta data entry

no problem with ISRC : mentioned Cds were too old to have this information which is retrieved for recent ones