title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripping versus converting - inconsistent output results

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • puckman
    • Apr 2011

Ripping versus converting - inconsistent output results

I bought dBp (14.2) for what I hoped was an eloquent solution: secure Rips to FLAC then, whenever I wanted a copy, convert to WMA using multi-encode into two different libraries each with their own "flavour". Basically, one is the home library for lossless listening and the other is lossy mobile listening. A frustrating obstacle I can't seem to overcome is targeting a WMA lossy transcode setting compatible with my head unit in my vehicle. :cry:

If I rip rather than convert directly to WMA lossy, the head unit in most cases will play the tracks. If I convert FLAC -> WMA (lossy) the unit won't recognize the tracks in every case. The tracks are playable on the source computer as well as on my smartphone/USB stick in various settings so I am pretty sure it's the head unit that is being fussy.

I tried various conversion settings and ID Tagging schemes (changing WM/Track vs WM/TrackNumber & String vs DWORD) to find a compatabile playback file. One solution I do not want to read is - "Convert to another lossy format." I have been using the right-click context settings to scrutinize both audio properties and ID-Tags between compatible and incompatible tracks. Are there other troubleshooting methods or "apps" I can find and use to drill down a little further?

The headunit is a Kenwood DNX6160; the playback is through USB in either a stick or Blackberry. The original FLAC files are stored in their own folder on WHS v1 then transcoded to another folder in the same machine from a local machine using the latest version of dBP - Converter on W7 then copied to a removable storage device.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Ripping versus converting - inconsistent output results

Try no ID tags as a test in the WMA files.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• puckman
      • Apr 2011

Test conversion parameters:

*blooper*1 FLAC (Highly Compressed) -> WMA (lossy: WMA 10 -> Codec WMA 10 Pro; DSP Effect: ID Tagging -> Remove all Tags) FAILURE!

*blooper*2 FLAC (Highly Compressed) -> WMA (lossy: WMA 10 Pro -> WMA 9.2; DSP Effect: ID Tagging -> Remove all Tags SUCCESS!

A-ha! I'm getting somewhere. So where to from here? I should mentioned I did a [ID Tag Update] with the transcoded files and no success.

Do I keep doing a test conversion and add in one tag at a time? I only need track number, Title, Artist, Album which I tried mapping and failed during conversion.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

9.2 is an older codec, it could be your head is only compatible with that.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• puckman
          • Apr 2011

My head unit gags on track or tracknumber with WMA tagging transcoded from FLAC. Unfortunately, I have inconsistent FLAC tag and WMA Mobile tag settings across each library I ripped using dBp CD Ripper. I changed them awhile ago and forgot about it. Unfortunatley, I think I have a steep learning curve ahead of me if I try to figure out all the technical nuances and flavours of tagging.

The only technical information I have on audio file compatability for my head unit is available here:

This article is helpful on AAC and MP3 tagging but not WMA tagging.

As for my FLAC library, I notice I blindly used two flavours of tagging. The differences are in the handling of Track and Disc. One setting shows TRACKNUMBER & DISCNUMBER and an empty field for Track. I think these were created with the (not recommended) ID3v2 setting.
          The other has the Track tagged as num/num DISCNUMBER becomes Disc: num/num and TRACKNUMBER is absent. This one I'm fairly positive was created with the Vorbis comment setting.

On the output side, I'm still not sure which WMA tagging setting (in the Configuration app) works and from which FLAC tag field they are mapped from: WM/Track -> 5 possible settings or WMTracknumber -> 5 possible settings. Perhaps someone could shed some light on this mystery for me.

The solution requires little more experimentation (not very eloquent) with test transcodings. Let you know. Wonder if all of this could be solved more easily with an advanced 3rd party tagger app?
          Last edited by puckman; 08-15-2011, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>