title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

NOTE: Any posts to this forum on or after 16th April will disappear in few days when we transition to a new forum

Thread: Slow upload speed - AS beta1

Slow upload speed - AS beta1

I just installed the AS beta1 client and tried it with a small subset of my wavpack folders, but the upload speeds are ridiculously low (20 to 50 KBps), whereas my typical range is around 20 Mbps. The bandwidth slider was left on the default 50% selection, [s]and alas your UI does not allow changing that during upload.[/s] and after finding out that the Settings can be accessed through the Tools button, bumping it to 100% merely raises the speed to about 80 KBps.

Is the server under load atm? Did all betatesters receive the email announcement at the same time?

The client and the website are still terribly lacking in information. You don't even have a bugreport system, so what's the point of betatesting?

Finally, the idea of MANDATORY real-time file monitoring is ridiculous. I suggest you implement an opt-out somewhere, or people will just kill the process and/or sandbox it. Or stop using AS altogether.
    Last edited by JLT_AS; 08-03-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: found the slider again

Re: Slow upload speed - AS beta1

I agree that upload is quite slow. It seems to hover around the 400kB/s mark with audiosafe set to use 100% of my bandwidth (I wonder how it determines my upload bandwidth).
    As my upload bandwidth is 4.5MB/s it's using less than 10% of what I have available.

JW

I just installed and started uploading and I'm seeing speeds less than 50kps @ 50% limit and my upload speed is 3.48 Mbps. This isn't going to work at this rate.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Are you internet connections cable or SDSL? If they are ADSL then the upload speed will much slower then your headline download speeds.

In the uk despite having a 7mb download speed my upload speed is only 512K so to me a 400K upload is not so bad.

I think the best upload speeds are only 1-2 Mb.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Just installed - installation was fine and straightforward; with 100% bandwidth I'm getting around 110 KB/s. Speedtest gives me an upload speed of 0.92 Mb/s so that's about fine as my not-very-good maths tells me I'm uploading at around 880 kbps.

Mick

Still stuck at 400-ish kB/s. At this rate it'll take half of forever to transfer the entire collection, even with the computer running 24/7. And I wouldn't be willing to do that: I have a Linux server for 24/7 duties.

Administrator

rb73 how large is your collection?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    rb73 how large is your collection?
    A little over 400GB.

Installed the updated Audiosafe, which got stuck at "Initializing". Rebooted, and now it's backing up, but it says "2% completed". Which is odd, as I'd gotten to 20-something percent already. Does this mean that it's starting from scratch?

Also, upload speed is horrible. Instead of 300-400kB/s I'm now stuck at 1 or 2kB/s :blush:
    Bandwidth slider is still at 100%. Doesn't seem to matter where I set it though.

This might be a silly question, but why doesn't the program allow for me to specify the upload speed as an absolute value? Percentages might be fine for the average user, but I much prefer to have real control :p

Administrator

The 2KB strongly suggests that for some reason it thinks it has not uploaded, so is re going through your files, if they have been uploaded already then they will not be, so when gets to 20% it should resume at full speed.

My upload speeds with Audio Safe Ver. 1.0.0.6 are about 53Kb/s. I am 12% complete. My Speedtest.net result was 1.43Mb/s. I have set resources to 100%. What should I be looking at to improve my upload speed?

Administrator

The audiosafe speed is reported in KBytes, not bits per second. 1.43Mb/s = ~ 100KB/s

Sounds about right for AudioSAFE, which uploads in packets.