title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: can't convert flac to mp3

can't convert flac to mp3

I'm trying to convert flac files to mp3. It runs them through then I get an error codes saying 'The CODEC required to decompress my file.flac could not be opened'. I installed the codec for flac files. What else do I need to do?

Re: can't convert flac to mp3

It may be that your FLAC file is corrupt or perhaps copy-protected.

Usually a corrupt FLAC file cannot be played but there are FLAC files that are corrupt and that are playable but cannot be converted. The FLAC front-end converter (a free download you can find with a little browsing) is definitive in identifying corrupt FLAC files but I think Foobar 2000 can also do this, if I recall correctly).

Or you may have a FLAC file that differs greatly in its characteristics (channels, bit rate, bits) from your desired MP3 output files (say if you are converting a 24-bit, 48 or 96 kHz, 6 channel FLAC file to 16-bit, 2 channel, 44.1 kHz MP3). In this case you might
    be successful using your DSP effects to assist in the conversion (bit depth when changing from 24 to 16 bit, channel count when changing the number of channels, and resample to change frequency).

Hope this helps.
    Best wishes,
    Bill

Administrator

Re: can't convert flac to mp3

FLAC is included as standard in R14, try reinstalling dBpoweramp.