title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Compatible NAS Drive for Asset

Thumbs down Compatible NAS Drive for Asset

Just got introduced to your terrific software and about to purchase a NAS Drive and get ripping.

Will the software work only work with a Windows Home Server based NAS Drive or will it function with a Linux based device such as an LG 2TB N2A2 NAS (iTunes Server and DLNA)?

I intended loading software onto an XP PC for ripping / control and just using the NAS Box for storage.

Administrator

Re: Compatible NAS Drive for Asset

You can run Asset from the XP machine and point it to any NAS device.

Asset its self will only run on Windows based machines, unless you have a proper computer running linux (and wine).

Sorry when I chime in, as I am now in evaluation and looking for information. As a music lover I look for a Linn DS, Asset UpnP because of support of extended metadatas and therefore for storage hardware that supports these properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You can run Asset from the XP machine and point it to any NAS device.
    This would mean, the PC has to be running when listening to music (if I understood correct). In that case this is not an option for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Asset its self will only run on Windows based machines
    This is the point where manufacturer of NAS drive me crazy as they do not reveal what OS they use.
    How can I know which NAS to buy?
    QNAP uses Twonky which is not an option for me. Synology seems to have something proprietary even though one can install Twonky too.
    But never information about compatability with Asset. I know that RipNAS comes with WHS and Asset but I don't need a ripping NAS, I can
    do this with my PC and the Sonata-Suite (dbpoweramp). The manufacturer of RipNAS also offers an AssetNAS but my local dealer said he
    had a lot of guarantee issues with this product and therefore would not recommend it (RipNAS itself are OK).

Please Spoon, which NAS do you recommend or are at least compatible to Asset (means Asset Upnp is installable and works fine as a media server)?
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Goodsound; 10-14-2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: typo

dBpoweramp Guru

Assetnas afaik has had less warrenty issues than ripnas, after all there is no cd drive, less components.

Qnaps run linux