title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: command line to extract album art

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

command line to extract album art

I'm struggling to figure out how to extract art from a song using a command line approach.

The following command runs at least to the extent that dbpoweramp can read my command line and does not produce any error language, but I do not see any resulting extracted art as I would expect, anywhere on my hard drive:

coreconverter.exe - infile=test.mp3 -outfile=test.mp3 -convert_to="[ID Tag Update]" -dspeffect1="ID Tag Processing=-case={qt}0{qt} -exportart={qt}Folder.jpg{qt} -arttojpg"

I placed test.mp3 in the directory from which I ran this command. Per the settings I found in the registry for ID Tag Update, I would have expected the picture in a dynamically named folder located under my Musci directory, but I found nothing there or anywhere else.

Suggestions on what's missing? thanks
    Last edited by biggles; 07-09-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Administrator

Re: command line to extract album art

coreconverter.exe - infile=test.mp3

There is a space between - and infile

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Sorry, that mistake was just made above and not when I actually entered the command, so that's not the cause of my problem.

Coreconverter echoed back the following for the command line above:

dBpoweramp Music Converter (c)Illustrate Ltd

Encoding: [ID Tag Update]
    Audio source: test.mp3
    Audio destination: test.mp3
    DSP effects: ID Tag Processing

0%---------------25%-------------------50%------------------75%---------------100%

and then I got the command prompt back, which seems to indicate it ran OK, but I could not find the image file. Yes, I have confirmed that the file actually contains embedded artwork - a front cover image.
    Last edited by biggles; 07-09-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Administrator

What happens if you use Music Converter and not the command line, with the same DSP effect?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Music Converter executed from right-clicking on my file works successfully - it places the cover art in the folder I expected it. I used the same settings as with coreconverter.exe far as I could tell.

I tried musicconverter.exe from the command line using the same settings as I tried with coreconverter.exe, but since I got back a response of "unknown command line", it doesn't look like musicconverter.exe can be executed from the command line.

I tried re-installing 14.2 beta and reinstalling all of the latest utility codecs and codecs but I get the same results. I also installed 14.1 reference - same results.

I need the command line of coreconverter to work for art extraction for what I have in mind. thanks.
    Last edited by biggles; 07-10-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Administrator

Switch on the debug option (dBpoweramp Configuration >> Music Converter), do a conversion with Music Converter and your command line, after each conversion you have to switch it back on.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I sent you a debug file for each run.

I did get the command line to extract a picture file, but there are significant caveats and this still doesn't work as I need it to:

- I had to add the additional string of -maxart{qt}(any){qt} to get something to spit out for the command line run. Curiously, I only had to add this additional setting just once - I experimented trying the command line several times without this additional setting after using it once, and it still spit out a pcture file. So it seems this is a setting that I changed and was retained somewhere in later command line runs. Also, in using music converter, this setting was already set to "any", and the settings in the registry under dMCCodec\[ID Tag Update] already was set to "any", so it seems the command line settings are stored somewhere else that I have not yet found.

- The resulting picture file name is screwed up in the command line run. When -outfile=test.mp3 and -exportart={qt}folder.jpg{qt}, the resulting picture file is named "test.mp3{qt}folder.jpg{qt}", and when -exportart=folder.jpg, the resulting picture file is ""test.mp3folder.jpg". This won't work for me, and I can't figure out how to get the picture file to be named just "folder.jpg". Music converter does this successfully.

- It seems the entire song file is re-written as indicated by the changed "date modified" information of the song file by both the command line and music converter runs. That also won't work for me - I just want to extract the art file without modifying, re-writing, editing, or changing anything in the song file. I tried lots of things but could not prevent this and still get extracted art. It would be OK for me to create a "dummy" output file that is written to a different location than the input file (and just keep overwriting that same dummy file whenever I extract art), but I would need guidance on what to enter in the command line to do that. In addition, how to pass the path of the input file in the command line would also be appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by biggles; 07-11-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Administrator

Update ID Tag does just that, rewrites the ID tags, so perhaps is not right for your usage. I sent an email to say the there is no paths, you need them, so:

coreconverter.exe - infile="c:\test.mp3" -outfile="C:\test.mp3" -convert_to="[ID Tag Update]" -dspeffect1="ID Tag Processing=-case={qt}0{qt} -exportart={qt}Folder.jpg{qt} -arttojpg"

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks for how to include the path. The dummy output file should work for me.

But how go I get the image file to just be "folder.jpg" when using the command line interface? The command lines above don't accomplish that. thanks.

Administrator

It is probably because it is missing the path that it cannot generate the folder.jpg filename correctly...

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I added the path and it now correctly creates "Folder.jpg". progress!

No joy trying to achieve my outfile file goal. No matter what I enter for the outfile, it will only overwrite the input file. I tried entering the outfile info with and without double quotatiion makrks, and with and without path information. Is the ID Tag Update codec designed to be able to specify an outfile any different than the input file, or does the ID Tag Update codec restrict usage to just overwriting? Any suggestions appreciated.
    Last edited by biggles; 07-11-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Administrator

Only the input file is used. If you set the file to read only it might stop that.