title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: 24 bit / 192 kHz FLAC to Apple Lossless

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

24 bit / 192 kHz FLAC to Apple Lossless

Hi!

I have some studio quality audio files from Linn Records that are in 24 bit 192 kHz format.

I have converted these to Apple Lossless using the latest purchased version of dBpoweramp with the latest ALAC codec support.

iTunes does display the resulting file as 24bit 192 kHz at about 5.5 Mbps rate.

My question is: Does really Apple ALAC format support and can play 24 bit 192 kHz format? and if yes, is the conversion from FLAC to ALAC using dBpoweramp resulting to a TRUE 24bit 192 kHz file, or it just keeps the "headers" but in reality has down-sampled the file to 16 bit 44kHz file?

An official answer directly from dBpoweramp from support and not wild guesses would be appreciated since Marantz and Denon insist that these 24bit 192 kHz conversions are not genuine 24bit 192 kHz conversions but down sampled to 16 bit 44kHz.

Also, from a marketing point of view and since iTunes still dominates the market and since big companies like Marantz, Denon, Philips etc now support AIRPLAY, it is interesting to get an answer that might even increase sales of dBpoweramp as you can make this conversion a selling point!

Thank you in advance...
    Last edited by george-london; 07-04-2011 at 04:58 PM.