title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Converting to ALAC?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrFlacCid
    • Jun 2011

Converting to ALAC?

Hi guys i just have some nooby questions.

1. If i downloaded lets say a low quality 96kbps bitrate mp3 song, and then decided to convert to ALAC. Would i notice any change in quality??? Or is it not possible because the original file is bad quality so converting won't make a difference.

2. If i have an .ALAC song and convert it to .mp3 and then convert back to .ALAC would i notice any drop in sound quality??

and lastly 3. Does playing a song on different media players affect sound quality??? like itunes might sound better than WMP 11...

Thank you!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Converting to ALAC?

Quality is lost during compressing, so when the mp3 is created the quality is lost at the point of creation, it is not possible to get it back.

2. Yes you have an ALAC which has the audio quality of the mp3, not original alac.

3. Subjective, overall I do not think there is huge differences.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• MrFlacCid
      • Jun 2011

Thank you,

If the converted ALAC is the same quality of the mp3 then why does the file size get significantly bigger?? and why would people purposely bother converting stuff in to ALAC???

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

People would convert to ALAC if they were converting from another lossless filetype (wave, flac, etc).

The size will always be similar for ALAC regardless as to the source (CD or mp3) as it is based on a different technology for storing the audio, than say mp3 which is based on throwing information away.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>