title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Pause time-out problem

Pause time-out problem

Hi,

I am using Asset WHS with my Naim UnitiQute player. Everything seems to be working fine save for the pause control.

Every time I leave a track paused for more than a few minutes, instead of continuing from where the track left off, my player simply stops playing.

This pause issue is not a problem when using the UnitiQute with other UPnP servers. However, I would like to stick with Asset as it is otherwise the best server that I have come across.

Is there any way that this can be addressed? I believe that there is some kind of 10 minute time-out on pause in Asset. Is there any way this can be adjusted?

Thanks

Administrator

Re: Pause time-out problem

Asset will close an unused connection after 10 minutes, the Uniti on play resume should find its continuation request denied, so it should request the rest of the stream with a partial http request.

Potentially we can extend to some other time, but the fact remains the player will always skip after that time if not designed to re-request the stream.

This doesn't appear to be a problem with other servers such as Twonky and Vortexbox, with which the UnitiQute seems to be able to pause indefinitely.

It is a real pity because, other than the pause issue, Asset is by far the best server. However, I don't really want a system that I can only pause for less than 10 minutes.

Administrator

Have you left the others for say 3 hours paused?

I am currently trialling TwonkyServer (on the same machine) and am able to leave that in pause for three hours and then resume without problem.

I also tried leaving it in pause (with TwonkyServer) overnight for over nine hours. It was then unable to resume.

It seems, therefore, that TwonkyServer takes the same approach as Asset but instead of closing an unused connection after ten minutes it does so after several hours (something between three and nine hours).

The primary fault would seem to be with the UnitiQute which would appear not to be making a valid partial http request after prolonged pause. However, there is nothing I can do about this. (The UnitiQute does not claim to be DLNA compliant and, furthermore, it is my understanding that its UPnP implementation is a little eccentric.)

All I can do is attempt to address the issue on the server side. From my point of view, 10 minutes' pause is not enough; hardly enough time to take a phone call. However, something more than three hours is fine.

Update: I have just reviewed the Event Viewer on the WHS machine. It seems that last night (when I had left the UnitiQute on pause overnight) Windows Update had forced the WHS machine to do hard restart. This would have, of course, caused the TwonkyServer to 'lose its place' and therefore fail to properly resume from pause. It seems, therefore, that TwonkyServer may be able to manage a pause for as long as nine hours or more - I will try it again tonight (purely for my own interest; a three hour pause is more than sufficient).
    Last edited by lazarusr; 06-18-2011 at 07:34 AM.

Having ensured that the WHS did not restart etc overnight, I can confirm that I was able to leave it paused (running TwonkyServer) for 10 hours and that it was able to resume without problem. Whether it can be left indefinitely, I do not know. But the ability to pause for 10 hours is clearly sufficient; whereas the 10 minutes I achieved with Asset was not.