title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio metadata no longer appears in Windows Explorer! How can I fix this?

Audio metadata no longer appears in Windows Explorer! How can I fix this?

I had an old Camel record that I wanted to be able to hear on my computer and MP3 player. However, I didn't have a turntable that I could use to convert it to a digital file. Looking around on the Internet turned up a decently-sized, high-quality rip, but it was in WV format.

I didn't have any way of playing WV files, so I looked some more, and I found dBpoweramp Music Converter. I installed it, and it let me convert the WV files to MP3s, but I got a very unwelcome surprise - my audio metadata completely disappeared! I could still view the metadata for other files, like pictures and videos, but audio data - whether for MP3s, FLACs, OGGs, or WAVs, was gone. Or, rather, invisible; artists, albums, and titles would still show up in my various players, but attempting to view them through Windows Explorer gave me the error message, "Details are unavailable for the selected files." This goes beyond tags and such, which Windows has never recognized in formats like FLAC; it literally doesn't display anything, not even attributes like file size and type.

Is there any way to fix this? I know for certain that dBpoweramp is the cause, because this only happened after I installed it, and posts elsewhere on the Internet seem to corroborate this. I tried dBpoweramp-Reset.exe after uninstalling the program, but it didn't solve the problem. The way that things are going, I might just have to reinstall Windows, and that's the last thing that I want to do.

Administrator

Re: Audio metadata no longer appears in Windows Explorer! How can I fix this?

Uninstall dBpoweramp, reboot Windows and reinstall dBpoweramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Uninstall dBpoweramp, reboot Windows and reinstall dBpoweramp.
    Thanks, but it did absolutely nothing. I uninstalled it and ran dBpoweramp-Reset.exe again; I don't think that I'll be re-installing it any time soon.

This pretty obviously has something to do with dBpoweramp's registry changes (I'd imagine that the problem lies somewhere in the dark recesses of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, given that it's specific to dBpoweramp's associated file types and that HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT contains keys for each file type - although I'm not good enough with the registry to make sense of any of them), so why doesn't dBpoweramp-Reset.exe fix it? Could you tell me which registry keys are changed by the program?

Oh, and I could have sworn that I mentioned this in my first post (sorry about not telling you; I don't know how I could have neglected it), but I'm running Windows 7. Does that shed any light on the subject?
    Last edited by ATrickOfTheEye; 05-29-2011 at 09:52 PM.

Administrator

>but audio data - whether for MP3s, FLACs, OGGs, or WAVs, was gone.

The thing is, Windows will not natively show the metadata for FLAC, oggs, etc, you need a program like dbpoweramp to add that ability to Windows.

When I try to get album art via "edit ID3-Tag" explorer context menu, I get no hits (and yes, all my artist and title info is correct), even on albums which previously had correctly found album art. This problem just appeared a few days ago (before and after my 14.1 update). Any idea what is going on? Are the Perfect meta servers down?

Administrator

You need R14.2 (which is in the beta section of this forum).

The thing is, Windows will not natively show the metadata for FLAC, oggs, etc, you need a program like dbpoweramp to add that ability to Windows.
    Did you even read my post?

Quote Originally Posted by ATrickOfTheEye View Post
    This goes beyond tags and such, which Windows has never recognized in formats like FLAC; it literally doesn't display anything, not even attributes like file size and type.
    Do I have to show you? Here are some screenshots:

This is an MP3 file. Windows natively displays metadata like bitrate and length. Except that now, thanks to dBpoweramp, it doesn't tell me anything.

This is an MKV file. Notice how, even though it can't tell me the file's resolution, length, or title, Windows still has a functioning "Details" tab that gives me non-format-specific information like size and owner (the latter is blacked out in the picture for privacy).

Can you see how there might be a problem here?
    Last edited by ATrickOfTheEye; 05-30-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Administrator

There is a potential bug which has been logged to be investigated, which seems to prevent the restoration of the native handler for some people. Please forward details of your system (32 bit / 64 bit, etc).

There is a potential bug which has been logged to be investigated, which seems to prevent the restoration of the native handler for some people. Please forward details of your system (32 bit / 64 bit, etc).
    Here.

Administrator

Select start >> and type:

regedit

Then right click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

choose export and save to a file on your computer, then email that file (you might want to zip up the file first as it will be around 70MB):

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/email.htm

I emailed you the registry keys, and you never replied. Are you going to help me or not?

dBpoweramp Guru

Be patient please

Quote Originally Posted by ********* View Post
    Be patient please
    OK.

I am having the same issue. After I uninstall dBpoweramp, I get that same message for mp3s... "details are unavailable for the selected files."

Quote Originally Posted by fanel89 View Post
    I am having the same issue. After I uninstall dBpoweramp, I get that same message for mp3s... "details are unavailable for the selected files."
    Forgot to mention, running Windows 7 32-bit and the issue not only applies to mp3s but ALL files which have Windows Media Player as the default program for opening (including video files). If I change the default program (lets say to Media Player Classic or Windows Media Center), the details show up again. When I switch back to WMP, they disappear again and I get the same message.