title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Using CD Ripper under Wine: cannot submit AccurateRip results

Using CD Ripper under Wine: cannot submit AccurateRip results

Hello all,

I've been using dBpoweramp Reference V13 and now V14 under Linux Ubuntu/Wine successfully for a while now and everything works perfectly except for one thing: submitting AccurateRip results in CD Ripper.

I am able to read the AccurateRip database to verify my rips but sending my results back simply fail everytime.

Here is the output I get:
    Compressing Drive Offsets...Ok
    Compressing AccurateRip Results...Ok
    Compressing Drive Offset Log...Ok
    Compressing Index...Ok
    Connecting to AccurateRip server...
    Requesting version information...
    Clearing socket
    Submitting results...
    Error connecting to accuaraterip, please check your settings.

I am now up to 180 discs and 2349 tracks that I could be contributing. Any idea what I could try or check? Can I submit those results manually somehow?

Thanks in advance,
    Daniel

Administrator

Re: Using CD Ripper under Wine: cannot submit AccurateRip results

It is fully automatic, so you cannot submit manually sorry.

Any idea why I am able to read from AccurateRip but not submit anything?
    Can you give me some more background info on what this failure really means? I'd like to help debug this if possible. (if not for others, at least for me).

I also tried running dbpoweramp in WinXP inside virtualbox (on my linux host) but it didn't work as well as under Wine directly in Linux.

Thanks,
    Daniel
    P.S. If nothing can be done, do I run the risk eventually of overflowing this table of cached results? can I clear it?

Administrator

There is no risk of overflowing (only a 8 byte crc is stored per track you rip), you could rip every cd on the planet and not fill your computer.

Ok, so I guess you have no intention of helping me solve (or at least understand) this issue.

I was hoping that as a paying customer, I could get a minimal amount of support on this issue. Oh well, I'm not the one that looses the most here as I can make use of AccurateRip, I just can't contribute back anything.

Thanks anyway,
    Daniel

There's nothing for Spoon to fix - your OS emulation layer (Wine) is clearly failing in some way - everything works for the app when hosted on the supported operating systems, it fails when you use an emulated API on top of an unsupported operating system.

The problem is on your end, sir. Try using the app in a supported environment, I bet your problem goes away.

The last two comments in this thread were of no use to anybody.

I am running Ubuntu 10.04 - 64bit, WINE 1.3.19. I am connecting to the AccurateRip server successfully with both Exact Audio Copy and dBpoweramp, so it is probably a simple problem.

I suggest checking for firewall issues, possibly even the MTU setting for your Ethernet interface. I have seen some servers do strange things (refuse connection) if the MTU is set to the default of 1500 on a client running Linux.

I am running:
    Fedora 15 64 bit
    Wine 1.3.2
    dBpoweramp 14.2

I am able to submit AR results just fine.

I realize that I'm not using a supported setup and I'm not expecting Spoon to "fix" anything, I merely wanted to know what's happening in the software when the message "Error connecting to accuaraterip, please check your settings." is printed out. Is it an address resolution problem, is it a timeout problem, etc.

Thanks to to the last two posters for offering something constructive to me.

Since I'm able to read the AR data just fine, I'm not that desperate to fix this issue, I was just trying to be a good contributor to the effort. Sorry, I guess I'm just more used to the opensource frame of mind...

Cheers,
    Daniel

UPDATE: In case this is useful to anybody else in my situation...

Out of dumb luck, I've managed to submit the thousands of tracks that were stuck in the CD Ripper for years...
    Just for grins, when the reminder popup showed up yet again, I went into the advanced page and simply clicked on the proxy check box and tried submitting the data and it *worked*!
    I didn't enter any parameters for a proxy (I don't use one), just checked the "use proxy" box and that was it.

A question about that part:

Quote Originally Posted by WoodrowStool View Post
    There's nothing for Spoon to fix - your OS emulation layer (Wine) is clearly failing in some way - everything works for the app when hosted on the supported operating systems, it fails when you use an emulated API on top of an unsupported operating system.
    On http://www.dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper.htm one can read: "Compatibility: Windows 7, Vista and XP Service Pack 2 or newer (64 bit versions included). Linux supported through Wine."

So I have the impression that Linux through Wine IS actually supported. Isn't it?

qwertz,
    I think you're reading too much into the "linux support" statement (as made clear in this thread).
    I suspect it only means that it just happens to work without any specific involvement from the developer(s).
    That being said, I'm getting pretty good results under Ubuntu 10.04 without any particular setup for my Plextor CD drive.
    It automatically chose "SCSI passthrough (SPT)" in the options, under the CD ROM section.

Hope this helps,
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by dborn View Post
    I think you're reading too much into the "linux support" statement (as made clear in this thread).
    It was just made clear by other users, so this is only reflecting what they read into the "linux support" statement. Who is right? A clearing statement from Spoon would be nice.

That being said, I'm getting pretty good results under Ubuntu 10.04 without any particular setup for my Plextor CD drive.
    What version of Wine are you using?