title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ATRAC3 & ATRAC3Plus Support

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

ATRAC3 & ATRAC3Plus Support

My sister just got a Sony CD MP3 Player for her birthday. It seems that sony has dropped the WMA Support and added their own ATRAC3 and ATRAC3Plus in it's place. The problem is that their software is very slow and cumbersome to use. Could you Add ATRAC3 Support to your program?

What seems to be the deal with Sony and their excusiveness with their technolog....anyways why would you want to have a cd at such low qualaty as ATRAC3? thats like 64kb/s! 128-192kb/s is about the best if you want to bother compressing the files much. But the highest ATRAC3 qualaty is around 132?kb/s so thats still low but i guess its "supposedly" a better comp. algorythm than the mp3 one. So i guess it would be a good idea to somhow include support fot ATRAC3 in dbpowerAMP......but i bet it would be a CLI encoder only........

Unregistered

ATRAC issues

Quote Originally Posted by ToolNut
    .... So i guess it would be a good idea to somhow include support fot ATRAC3 in dbpowerAMP......but i bet it would be a CLI encoder only........
    There's an inherent problem with that, which is what Sony encoded the ATRAC music as. Although yes, their compression provides a better byte/second ratio than standard MP3 ecoding, but they also built in a layer of encrpytion that requires signing a whole bunch of (apparently) expensive paperrwork and litigations to be able to use. It's definitely not the standard run of the mill, either. Based on MagicGate (hence Sony's decision to add MG to all of their players bundled with NetMD units), the MG protocol is apparently what they use to also encode memory stick data amongst other things, so Sony will not release the ability to unlock it readily.

Albeit very cool, I wonder if it would be worth the while. There used to be an open source project called Open/NMD (Open NetMiniDisc) that would allow the same functionality as Sony's player to play the ATRAC3 format. But they seemed to have dissapeared shortly after getting someplace. I'm sure their work is now 'out there' someplace, but who is to say if it is legal in these 'mod and get sued by corporation x' days.

Just my thoughts and knowledge on the subject.

.:: epoch of entropy

Unregistered

Smile

im not sure if this is on the task, but you know how wave files have an ending in .wav and meny other ones have diffrent types (eg .mpg). whats the endinf for ATRAC3Plus thingy.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    im not sure if this is on the task, but you know how wave files have an ending in .wav and meny other ones have diffrent types (eg .mpg). whats the endinf for ATRAC3Plus thingy.
    I really can't remember cause it's a little difficult to find, but I belive they are ATP or AT2 AT3 somthing like that.

Unregistered
    thank for helping. But it looks like i cant find any file on the internet with .ATP, .AT2 or .AT3. I'v have tryed useing p2p (Kazaa) and a URL/FTP searchers as well as dogpile & altavista. if someone know a good place to get ATRAC3 music or a website for software to download a MP3-->ATRAC3 tell me, as i have been looking for one for weeks. thanks

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    I'm pretty sure the Atrac format has some kind of DRM protection which prevents it from being played on any computer except the original. :cry:

Unregistered
    thank for helping. But it looks like i cant find any file on the internet with .ATP, .AT2 or .AT3. I'v have tryed useing p2p (Kazaa) and a URL/FTP searchers as well as dogpile & altavista. if someone know a good place to get ATRAC3 music or a website for software to download a MP3-->ATRAC3 tell me, as i have been looking for one for weeks. thanks
    .omg and it could have DRM protection.

Unregistered
    i searched download.com for atrac3 and found a atrac3 converter (from mp3 etc -> atrac3 and from atrac -> mp3 etc..)

i'm on the search for a atrac3 player/cracker/anything ... nobody knows anything?

Unregistered

Angry

i searched download.com for atrac3 and found a atrac3 converter (from mp3 etc -> atrac3 and from atrac -> mp3 etc..)

i'm on the search for a atrac3 player/cracker/anything ... nobody knows anything?

I have got onto Sony and they tell me you can only get the software as a spare part. It's expensive as well. I too would like to get may hands on the Atrac3plus software but no luck so far.

Unregistered
    I have got onto Sony and they tell me you can only get the software as a spare part. It's expensive as well. I too would like to get may hands on the Atrac3plus software but no luck so far.
    I tried download.com as well, and found one CD rip/burn utility that claimed conversion support. However, upon install it displayed a "this feature not currently supported" dialog.

I'll keep searching.

Unregistered
    I too own a cd player with this format
    The format is a pain. It takes forever to encode and can only be played on my discman. I cant even play the cds i make back on the computer. The only reason i use this format is because i am running out of room to store cds and i can hold on average 24hours of music one one atrac3 plus cd.
    I am looking for software to let me play atrac cds on my computer, but i doubt i will ever find one.

Sky^ [Unreg.]
    I too own a cd player with this format
    The format is a pain. It takes forever to encode and can only be played on my discman. I cant even play the cds i make back on the computer. The only reason i use this format is because i am running out of room to store cds and i can hold on average 24hours of music one one atrac3 plus cd.
    I am looking for software to let me play atrac cds on my computer, but i doubt i will ever find one.
    The same to me... I don't think that Sony will release the format specifications to privates or open source projects... but why not try?

Unregistered

Post where i can find soft to ATRAC3

Where I can find the software of the atrac3 or atrac3plus for extraction and audio recording

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Where I can find the software of the atrac3 or atrac3plus for extraction and audio recording
    I don't think we will be seeing Atrac3 support in DBpowerAmp anytime soon. (unless it all the sudden becomes open source or somthing like that, or sony makes development tools for software creators)

-Joseph