title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Multi-threaded conversion not working

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fallsroad
    • Aug 2010

Multi-threaded conversion not working

Upgraded hardware recently from a dual core to an i7-2600k. Also installed Windows 7 64bit and had to install dbpoweramp anew.

When I do conversions now there is only a single thread active each time - one file at a time, in succession.

Am I missing a setting?

ETA: Using Reference 14
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Multi-threaded conversion not working

Check in dBpoweramp Configuration that is says 'Registered Reference'

also if encoding to certain lossless formats then multi-cpu is not used by default (as on most peoples systems it is the HDD not CPU which is the bottleneck, so there is the DSP effect 'Multi-CPU Force' you can use).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Fallsroad
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Spoon
      Check in dBpoweramp Configuration that is says 'Registered Reference'

also if encoding to certain lossless formats then multi-cpu is not used by default (as on most peoples systems it is the HDD not CPU which is the bottleneck, so there is the DSP effect 'Multi-CPU Force' you can use).
      It does say "Registered Reference Release 14."

This was a fresh install of Win7 64 on upgraded hardware, so I hadn't much of a chance to do many conversions before noticing this.

I've done more, and it seems to be only the Wav codec that does not use multi-core processing of files. Each one is done separately, sequentially, from any lossless format to wav.

I don't recall this being the case when using R14 on my older machine running XP, but I may not be recalling correctly. The Wav codec does list support for multi-core processing.

I also noticed that when using the "force" DSP option with the wav codec my entire system grinds to a complete halt. Other codecs using all four cores (8 with hyperthreading) run at 100%, but the mouse still moves, and browsing the web is still possible while the conversion is in progress.

Encoding from Wav to any lossless format so far invokes all the processors without any problems.
      Last edited by Fallsroad; 04-21-2011, 02:44 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Wave does not require any CPU time, as it is uncompressed, so having 4 cores trying to write to the HDD at the same time is not a good idea (the conversion will take longer).
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Fallsroad
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Spoon
          Wave does not require any CPU time, as it is uncompressed, so having 4 cores trying to write to the HDD at the same time is not a good idea (the conversion will take longer).
          I see.

Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Working...

]]>