title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Verifying existing rips

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Verifying existing rips

Spoon:

It's been almost 6 years since I first downloaded dBpoweramp. I followed your advice and bought Plextor products. I love the accurate rip feature. While I still use EAC to rip I was wondering if there is a way to look at all my music files to determine those that were ripped accurately. I am now at about 40,000 tracks and I know that there are a number of them that are not good rips. Many predate accurate rip. I have found over the years that about 10% of the CD's have been poor quality pressings. The Plex utilities that came with my Plextor Premium drive can measure all the C1, C2 and non-correctable errors. I've used the print out to prove to retailers that the CD is defective and they gave me my money back or exchanged them. I currently store my files in a flac format.
    Is there a tool that will look at each track and determine if they were ripped correctly?

Thanks,

Tunetyme
    Last edited by tunetyme; 04-14-2011 at 05:58 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Verifying existing rips

Yes, you can use CueTools to scan your old rips and check if they are accurate. You can also use CueTools to scan your rips and help build the CueTools database which repairs bad rips.

I can't thank-you enough. I have 40,000 tracks to verify. I think that will keep me busy for awhile...

If you lack the .cue files created from the original discs, perhaps 10-20% of the rips won't verify with CueTools due to use of pre-gap but may still be accurate.

I have tried to use CUEtools 2.1.1 to verify some of my discs. I get an error like this ".\Chiquitita.flac: synchronization was lost." This may be because the disc is not in the database. I would think that the first step would be to determine if this is in the accurate DB and then if it is a good clean rip then submit it to CTDB.

I would like to store the accurate rip info in a file with each album and the CTDB info as well. I have not created cue files for any of my rips.
    When I have been able to run an album I get the following file:
    "Breaking The Rules.accurip". What do I need to open this file to examine the info? It would be nice if this was a txt file.

Is there a batch mode?

Thanks!

Tunetyme

dBpoweramp Guru

I recall that foobar2000 may have a component that can check existing rips against accuraterip. See for example:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...hl=accuraterip

and note "verify album with accuraterip" menu item when you right click tracks in playlist window and choose "utilities"

dBpoweramp Guru

remember to use the SUBMIT feature with cuetools to help build the CTDB so others can repair their rips.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tunetyme View Post
    I have tried to use CUEtools 2.1.1 to verify some of my discs. I get an error like this ".\Chiquitita.flac: synchronization was lost." This may be because the disc is not in the database.
    no that means your flac is corrupted or some type of read error when loading the file.

I would think that the first step would be to determine if this is in the accurate DB and then if it is a good clean rip then submit it to CTDB.
    this is exactly what happens, the cue (if available) is used or the files themselves are used to generate a cdid, which is then looked up on both the AR and cuetools db's.

I would like to store the accurate rip info in a file with each album and the CTDB info as well. I have not created cue files for any of my rips.
    When I have been able to run an album I get the following file:
    "Breaking The Rules.accurip". What do I need to open this file to examine the info? It would be nice if this was a txt file.
    have you tried opening it with notepad?

it is a text file.

Is there a batch mode?
    you can select folder mode or drag and drop mode, and drop either folders or files into the window and it will batch process them.

As already mentioned, be sure to select 'submit' mode so that albums that are in AR but not in CT, get added to CT's db as well.

Thanks for all the great help! The file does open in notepad - Thanks. Is it correct that if I select a parent folder it will go through all the sub folders? That would be a great feature. The question then becomes how do I identify those albums that were not accurately ripped? From the first 20 albums I have a pretty high failure rate about 60%. I've noticed that these seem to be albums that were ripped prior to accurate rip. All my files are level 6 flac. I converted from APE about a year and a half ago.

I would hate to populate CTDB with bad info. If I select update CTDB will I be inputting bad data? I have a lot of rare CD's that I have searched for and I am sure these will benefit CTDB. I am wondering if some of the problem may be an earlier version of flac?

I have been very meticulous about ripping my CD's using EAC and Plextor products exclusively. I do have some HDCD's in my mix. Will that present a problem?

I tried the CTDB error correction on one album and it created a cue file. Is there a way to create tracks directly?

I store various artist albums the same way as single artist albums Under Artist\Album. While this creates additional folders it helps me manage my files. Will this create a problem?

Sorry about all the questions. I am very excited about this tool and understanding all its' capabilities.