title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: peak to peak volume normalise

peak to peak volume normalise

hi there.:D

i have been using the 'peak to peak volume normalise' DSP when ripping some of my cds, and would like to know if this DSP degrades audio quality AT ALL....?

i am using flac encoder, and am concerned that the quality is not as it should be....

i don't know if i just need to turn the volume up when listening to normalised tracks, but it seems to me that non-normalised ripped tracks actually sound better.:blush:

anyone have anything to say about this?

- i have decided not to normalise rips now, but would like to know, as this would be quite a 'convenient' DSP to continue using!!! - the main issue for me is to get as good a sound as possible.

thanks for any replies!

Re: peak to peak volume normalise

Volume normalize will change the audio qualities of a file. It can introduce undesirable changes, especially if your settings introduce too much gain.

The best plan would be to use the ReplayGain dsp which does not change the underlying audio qualities of the file, it only changes the file to add information as to how it should be played. The drawback is that this is only effective with a player that can read ReplayGain data (other files should be unchanged).

The next best plan within dBpoweramp is probably to use the Volume Normalize dsp set to the ReplayGain setting at the default parameters.

Another alternative is to use MP3Gain to Volume Normalize your tracks. This is a free program from another source. It has the advantage of creating volume normalized files playable on any player and of providing the user the ability to undo the changes applied during the volume normalization process if you are not satisfied with the changes. The downsides are that it requires a separate conversion and it does not work with as many file types. I don't know if it works with Flac, for example. It has been a while since I've used MP3Gain so I am not up on its current capabilities.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
    Bill