title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Preserve File Dates While Updating ID Tags

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OldCoder
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Sep 2003

Preserve File Dates While Updating ID Tags

When I update tags using the context menu "Edit ID Tag", the date stamps on the files are changed to a current date stamp.

SQUEEZEBOX uses these file dates to determine if a file is new to a collection, and I would like these dates to be preserved while updating tags.

This would require capturing the dates/times as the editing begins, and applying these values after completing the tag updates.

I wish I had requested this years ago so I could look back and see how the collection did grow....
  • d2b
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Aug 2010

Re: Preserve File Dates While Updating ID Tags

Please don't do this, or at least if you must, make it a user-selectable option! It's a bad idea.

If tags are updated, the file date should update as well. How else can you differentiate between the "corrected" or updated version and the older one!

We work with a large collection of albums, and we continually try to improve our tags off-line, and then replace the older album's files with tne new ones. We use Beyond Compare to maintain the libraries, and thus rely on the file dates to provide the updates. The newer version is automatically the "better" one and thus replaces the older copy.

d2b

Comment

• OldCoder
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Sep 2003

Re: Preserve File Dates While Updating ID Tags

Actually, if the TIME stamp was updated to add 5 minutes (while the DATE was kept the same) your sync software would still work while allowing my request to be fulfilled.

Comment

Working...

]]>