title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bid depth, resample

bid depth, resample

whats the difference between selecting the bit depth, resample from the converter screen vs. selecting it in the dsp screen?

thanks

Administrator

Re: bid depth, resample

Some codecs do not offer the ability to select reduced bit/sample rate. Also there is the option to dither to 16 bit.

Thanks! - so I guess there is no difference in the way it is upsampled. I was under the impression that with the DSP setting it was processed at a different stage of the encoding process.

dBpoweramp Guru

Both are done before encoding

does dbpoweramp use the same SSRC as EAC?

Administrator

We use SSRC

Hi Spoon,

Before I purchased/registered R14, I converted some 24/96 FLAC into 16/44.1 WAV and then into ALAC.

Now that I have the 'registered' version, I was wondering whether I should re-encode my 24/96 FLAC to 16/44.1 ALAC using the 'resample DSP', unless of course the WAV codec already uses SSRC for sample rate conversion. For bit depth changes, I imagine it's probably better to use the DSP as one can take advantage of dithering.

Thanks!

EDIT: one more thing, I can't seem to find the 'Professional Frequency Conversion' option in 'dBpoweramp Configuration >> Music Converter >> dBpoweramp Reference'. I am using DSP Effects R7.
    Last edited by milkpowder; 03-12-2011 at 08:50 PM.

Administrator

>'Professional Frequency Conversion

This option has been removed in R14 as it is permanently enabled. If you used R14 or had that option checked then SSRC would have been used.

Thank you!

Hello, I'm using version R14.2, and would like to apply dither to some 24 bit flac files for conversion to 16 bit WMA. The option to apply dither is greyed out, which seems to be the case even with wav to wav conversion.

Why is the dither option greyed out?

Thanks.

edit: never mind...need to upgrade...
    Last edited by ripblade; 08-01-2011 at 07:19 PM.

I, too, am using R14.2 & DSP Release 7. I don't understand why there is no dither option when going from 24-bit flac to 16-bit flac (etc). The poster above said he needed to upgrade, but...upgrade what? Thanks!

the info page says "dBpoweramp Music Converter: Registered Power Pack Release 14.2"
    I have sent money to dBpoweramp for upgrades more often than any other program I can think of. Do I still need to send more?
    Last edited by pianoman; 03-30-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Administrator

The Dither option (on the Bit Depth DSP) requires the reference version.

Okay, so I guess there is a difference, and extra $$, between "Reference" R14.2 and Music Converter R14.2? Thanks.
    This screen: - http://dbpoweramp.com/db-versions.htm - makes me think I already bought what I need. If I have a "Registered Power Pack Release 14.2", what does that mean?
    Is it an upgrade from a previously purchased version, but without the "Reference" bells and whistles?
    I suggest that the purchase screens and version descriptions are quite confusing in this regard, making it easy to purchase something inadequate to one's needs due to this lack of clarity. I don't seem to be alone in this.
    Thanks for your help.

dBpoweramp Guru

The power pack option (which was the cheaper option) has since been discontinued, we only offer (for purchase) what is shown on the version page.

If you log in to the same link as you orgionally downloaded r14, you will see an offered link to upgrade to Reference.

Cool Re: bid depth, resample

Thanks, that clears things up!
    ...downloaded Reference...all is bliss... thanks again.
    Last edited by pianoman; 04-03-2012 at 05:53 AM.