title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

NOTE: Any posts to this forum on or after 16th April will disappear in few days when we transition to a new forum

Thread: FLAC > MP3 conversion speed?

FLAC > MP3 conversion speed?

A simple question, if you use dBpoweramp I would be interested to know roughly how much time it takes you to convert a full CD's worth of FLAC files (say 350mb) to MP3 best quality 320kbps using the Lame codec. This is assuming that both source and destination are on local hard drives not over Ethernet or USB connections. To the nearest minute will do. Can you also tell me what processor you are using and how many cores are being used in the conversion?

Currently on my very ancient AMD Athlon XP 3000+ single core it takes around 7 minutes.

A bit of an esoteric question I know, but hopefully there are a few out there that use this software to do this sort of thing.

This is not intended to be a competition, I am just as much interested in those with 2 or 3 year old processors as those with the latest kit.

Thanks for any help.

Administrator

Re: FLAC > MP3 conversion speed?

Cores help with conversions, in that 4 cores will be ~ 4x faster.

My AMD Phenom II six-core processor system takes less than a minute to convert a full CD of FLACs to MP3. As Spoon said, more cores equals more speed when converting.

-drjenkins

Thanks for the information guys - very useful.

I have the Reference version so a system could make use of multiple cores. Looks like time to do some investment in hardware!