title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Newbie Basic pb

Newbie Basic pb

Hello,

Sorry if this is a very basic question; I am completely new to audio tools.

In short, I do not understand how asset does the indexing.

I want to rip all my CDs and put the wav files on my NAS (Synology), in order to read them on a LInn Majik DS, using Kinskydesktop

On My NAS, I created a structure such as Blues/Eric Bibb/Album1, etc, and put 4 albums in 4 different folders, all tracks are in wav format
    In the browse tree window, I just let the Genre-Artist/album, thinking this had to match the way my music folder is organized.
    Obviously, I was wrong.

Kinsky finds the Asset Upnp library, but it says: unknown Genre, unknown Artist, unknown album, and it shows all my tracks in this unknown album.
    So obviously, the folder structure on my NAS is of no use for Asset.

Can someone explain what I am doing wrong ?
    Thanks

Administrator

Re: Newbie Basic pb

File and folder names mean nothing, as far as browsing it is the ID tags. As you have wave, very few programs will tag a wave file, dBpoweramp Ripper would, did you use dBpoweramp to rip the files?

Hi,

No I used EAC, and obviously, tagging is not in my wav files.
    I am going to fix this, I read somewhere it was more easy to tag flac, I am going to try this.

Thanks for helping

Quote Originally Posted by luky55 View Post
    Hi,

No I used EAC, and obviously, tagging is not in my wav files.
    I am going to fix this, I read somewhere it was more easy to tag flac, I am going to try this.

Thanks for helping
    Here is a great tagging program. Works for all formats, not just mp3.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Hi

The support for tagging *.wav files is ill-defined and patchy across devices and software.

I would recommend ripping to FLAC which supports tagging. I have used foobar2000 and been impressed. It will add tags from freedb.

FLAC is loss-less, you can recreate an audio CD from the files if you want to. They are about half the size of wav files.

I am using Soundbridges to play the files, currently serving them with Firefly.

But now I have Sony BDS570 bluray player, and that does not see Firefly, Tversity and some other servers I tried - DLNA is more than just Upnp.

The best I have found for audio is Asset, which the Sony does see, provided Asset is set to play Flac as LCPM - the transcoding from flac to wav or lcpm is very quick, and is done on the fly.

I hope this helps.