title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Secure vs. Accurate CRC red

Secure vs. Accurate CRC red

Hi all,

I just ripped a CD in secure mode and got no errors.

I then enabled AccurateRip, and re-ripped the CD (without cleaning it or anything), and once again got no errors--Accurate (4). But, all of the CRC's were red.

Does enabling AccurateRip somehow change how the checksum is processed or compared? I see no reason why the the first rip would be inaccurate, especially since the CD was in the same condition as during the second rip, and DMC marked it as secure.

Thanks for the help.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Secure vs. Accurate CRC red

A secure rip does not guarantee an accuraterip. The rips are different, and the second one is correct.

I don't understand how this could be the case. Why would every track be incorrect in a previous so-called "secure" rip when the CD was in exactly the same condition as it was during the "correct" accurate rip?

Administrator

If the CRCs change then you can be sure that something was wrong, the tracks are not the same each time. It is likely the drive ripped with a wrong offset, which is a fault of the drive (you should never see this).

Would having AccurateRip activated cause the rips to be the same each time? After setting up AccurateRip, I ripped the CD a few times just in case, and got the same result each time (accurate (4)).

Seems strange that the rips are all identical following AccurateRip's installation, and completely erroneous prior.

Update: I have tried ripping a few more CDs in AccurateRip mode that I had previously ripped in secure mode. All of them come out accurate, but with red CRC's once again. Is it really the case that all of my secure rips are faulty, and when AccurateRip is enabled, they all rip perfectly (same drive, CDs in same condition)?

Please help. Thanks again.

Administrator

If the CRCs are different and AccurateRip verifies youc an be sure there was previously an error.

Ok, is there any reason why this may be the case? Does AccurateRip somehow guide the ripping process and mold each rip into the correct parameters? If not, it seems a huge coincidence that whenever it's enabled, my drive is independently able to rip CDs correctly, and always seems to screw up whenever it's disabled.

Thank you

Administrator

It does not, but once AccurateRip is enabled discs will be ripped with a new offset, so this would give a different CRC

Ah, so does this mean that the CRC would be red no matter what following a switch from secure mode to AccurateRip? If the offset changes with accuraterip enabled, I should expect a red CRC, correct?

Thanks

Administrator

Yes

dBpoweramp Guru

all that red means is that the crc is different from the last rip

if you rip a 3rd time, it should match the 2nd rip and be green again.

Does this imply that if a CD isn't in AccurateRip, thus Secure Rip is being used, that the offests might be off and the CRCs inaccurate if the CD makes it into the AccurateRip database one day?

(And something else I've always wondered - how does a CD make it into the AccurateRip database?)

dBpoweramp Guru

No, once accuraterip is configured, your drives offset is also configured and used on discs not currently in AR.