title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How do I re-tag Unknowns that were ripped without an Internet connection.....

How do I re-tag Unknowns that were ripped without an Internet connection.....

If I rip a CD and I don't have an internet connection all of the Artwork, Album titles and Track titles are missing. Can I go back later and run a 'Batch' program in dbpoweramp to re-tag all of this missing information?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: How do I re-tag Unknowns that were ripped without an Internet connection.....

nope.

I recommend musicbrainz picard.

Re: How do I re-tag Unknowns that were ripped without an Internet connection.....

Quote Originally Posted by Teknojnky View Post
    nope.

I recommend musicbrainz picard.
    Well, I downloaded the program and got it to run on a folder that had no tags. It seemed to come with some results that were not correct.

I am probably running this tool incorrectly, but it is not obvious how to use it. ???

Also, if the FLAC format is truly lossless, why cannot dbpoweramp tag the music when an internet connection is available?

Seems like a major deficiency.

dBpoweramp Guru

did you click the 'scan' button? it will try to use audio analysis to match up to existing songs, but if your tracks analysis are not in the database then it may not be able to find them.

You can also use the 'cluster' button to group them together (assuming your doing one album at a time, then the 'lookup' button.

Quote Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
    Also, if the FLAC format is truly lossless,
    flac is truely lossless, but this has nothing to do with:

why cannot dbpoweramp tag the music when an internet connection is available?
    dbpoweramp only tags from the ripper, if your not ripping then your not getting any tags from it. period.

Seems like a major deficiency.
    yes.

the only way to get metadata from dbpa is to rip a cd. it will not tag files that are already ripped. If picard is not working for you, use one of the many many other tagging programs to tag files that are ripped already.

edit:
    also, most tagging programs primarily designed to clean up existing tags based upon either pre-existing tags or filenames.

If there are no tags at all and no filenames or path for the program to guess, then most of the time you will have to manually tell it what artist/album/tracks data to tag to the files.

some programs, like picard, will use audio analsysis to attempt ot match up to existing metadata, but if your files are too new, too old, too obscure, or are otherwise not in the analysis database, then it does not have anything to go on.

It is then up to you manually tag your files.

dbpoweramp is a great at some things like ripping cd's or converting files from one type to another, but things it does not do is:
    - does not tag any files already ripped.
    - does not manage your audio library
    - does not play audio
    Last edited by Teknojnky; 02-04-2011 at 05:48 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

It is possible, but the commercial providers will never allow it, so you would be left with freedb,ect only.

I'll re-rip the CDs with Internet.

This is all too complicated. Even for a Software Engineer!

Not too complicated. Just a pain in the butt. When I find tags that aren't what I want them to be, re-rip is often faster than updating by hand, depending on what the problem is.