title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Converting files only copies 28.5 seconds of the track

Angry Converting files only copies 28.5 seconds of the track

I installed the dMC trial and am trying to convert from flac to mp3, ogg, aac... but no matter what I try, it's only converting the first 28.5 seconds of each track.

What the heck is going on? Is this a limitation of the trial version? If so, why do they say the trial is "fully functional".

Any help appreciated.

Administrator

Re: Converting files only copies 28.5 seconds of the track

No trial limitation, have you added a DSP effect? such as Maximum Length?

Thanks for the reply.

I believe I've found the issue. Looks like a bug to me.

I haven't installed any DSP effects. I'm trying to use the Batch Converter to convert flac files using "Multi Encoder" to MP3, AAC and ogg.

In the case of the MP3 and OGG configurations, each output file only has the first 28.5 seconds of the song. However, the AAC configuration was dumping empty (0 byte) files.

If I take the AAC configuration out of the Multi-encoder, the other configurations start behaving properly!

I'm probably misconfiguring something with AAC (I'm using the m4a Nero codec... I had browsed to the neroAacEnc.exe but maybe I need to tell it something else?). Still, even with a badly performing AAC configuration, why would all the other configurations start bailing out at 28.5 seconds on each track?

And if I do a convert with just AAC (not using Multi-Encoder), it seems to work fine.

Something is definitely wacked with using it in a multi-encode process.

Administrator

If there was an error it would show after encoding, is that not the case?

There have been instances where virus checkers have blocked certain programs from running (such as neroaacenc.exe, etc).

No, it doesn't show any errors.

I think this is a combination bug + me being confused. Here's the exact steps to reproduce.

1. Set up a multi-encode. I have MP3 VB0, VB2 and CBR-320, plus Ogg q0.8.

2. Add the Nero m4a encode to the multi-encode. You get the pop-up saying "Before using this encoder a separate component must first be installed from www.neroditial.com, press Red[?] help button on encoder settings page for details."

Set up the AAC encode but do *not* browse for the encoder.

3. Run the convert. Everything except the AAC files comes out at 28.5 seconds long, the AAC files come out at 0 bytes.

To fix the problem, make sure you browse for the neroAacEnc.exe encoder.

So, my confusion initially was that I had set up AAC for a standalone encode, and browsed for the encoder. Then I switched to the Multi-encode. When I added the m4a to the multi-encode, the profile dropdown next to the "Encoder>>" button was still populated with the profile options, so I didn't realize I had to browse to locate the encoder again.

So I would chalk this up as two bugs:

1. An improperly configured AAC profile in a Multi-encode is causing the other encodes to stop at 28.5 seconds.

2. The user interface for m4a Nero AAC encoder is kinda crappy. The profile dropdown stays populated once you've browsed to the encoder once, but you still need to browse to the encoder again anyway every time you add m4a to a multi-encode.

It probably should at least give you another warning when you try to run the convert, but the "Encoder >>" button should probably have an accompanying label as well, saying "No encoder selected", which changes to the path of the encoder when one is selected. The dropdown that appears under the button doesn't communicate anything until the button is pressed.

Hope this helps anyone else out!
    Last edited by goat; 01-22-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Administrator

Normally the codec automatically selects, do you have dBpoweramp installed to a non-default folder?