title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Composer and artist tags in Ipad control points

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hvaleton
    • Oct 2010

Composer and artist tags in Ipad control points

Hi,

There are two things missing from my total and utter happiness using Asset UPnP:
    1 Composer and
    2 Artist.

I'll explain.

I use two control points on my Ipad: ChorusDSHD and SongBook DS.
    I prefer ChorusDSHD because in the now playing section it shows the current track's tags such as Title, Album, Artist, Genre, Composer and Year next to a pleasantly large and high-res album cover. SongBook DS only shows Title and Artist under the album cover.
    Now I have two music databases that I stream from to my Linn DS:
    one that's always in the air, even when my PC is off, and that's the DiskStation Mediaserver on my Synology DS408 Nas. However, this Mediaserver has limited search options and also only streams the album art in low resolution to the various control points.
    The other is Asset UPnP and this runs on my Win7 64bit PC. So, for great looking album art on my Ipad I'm willing to pay a higher electricity bill...
    But the real downside is that the current track info while streaming from the Synology Mediaserver is perfect whereas when I'm streaming from Asset UpnP the Composer field is always empty and the Artist field is always filled with the Album Artist. That's not what I need. The Artist field should be fed from the Artist tag, in my case containing all contributing artists, e.g.
    "Alfred Brendel (piano), Koninklijk Concertgebouworkest, Bernard Haitink".
    To avoid mixing my classical music with my pop music I've tagged all Album Artist fields with "Klassiek" for all classical tracks and with the appropriate Album Artist, such as "Queen" or "Abba" in case of pop music. That way, when I browse under Album Artist / Album, I only see my pop album artists neatly listed and I can easily skip past the album artist "Klassiek".
    Browsing for classical music, on the other hand, I use the Composer tree.

So, it's obvious that for me it doesn't have any added value when ChorusDSHD shows 'Klassiek' as the artist for each and every classical track that I play.

I have tried to change the 'Settings override' settings but as yet to no avail. (Is there a manual for those settings? They are a bit of a mystery to me)

Is this simply something missing from Asset UPnP? Or are there settings that I'm not aware of that should be corrected?
    I'm confused to find that I can browse in a composer tree but that when the music is playing the composer tag is empty.
    And what about showing the Album Artist instead of the actual Artist? Is that a 'popular music thing'?

Please help me out!

Thanks in advance,

Hans Valeton
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Composer and artist tags in Ipad control points

It is all down to Chorus not reading the field correctly what we write, is you install Asset Control you will see the composer field is filled in.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• hvaleton
      • Oct 2010

Hi Spoon,

But how do you explain the fact that Chorus does read this data correctly when using the Synology DiskStation MediaServer?

regards,

Hans

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

UPnP is about adhering to standards, these standards vary, Chorus is only working one exact way, Asset does it one valid way, Synology another way...
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• euphonia
          • Oct 2010

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but the issue of the composer tag not displaying in chorusds is quite frustrating! Is there any way to get this to work? Has anyone discovered a workaround? If not, who is best placed to fix it, Spoon or Sean?

Thanks,
          Nick

Comment

Working...

]]>