title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Replaygain and album art for Sonos

Replaygain and album art for Sonos

I am ripping to flac for a new Sonos system. I am aware of the Sonos restrictions and oddities concerning replaygain. Still, I cannot get Sonos to honor replaygain. I've asked in the Sonos forums, and their suggestion was to use foobar2000 to set replaygain. It seems silly to use two steps when I can do it in one step with dBpoweramp. The only thing I can figure is that foobar2000 does something different with the replaygain tags. Does anyone here know if that is the case? Has anyone here successfully used replaygain tags generated by dBpoweramp for Sonos? (My question in the Sonos forum is here)

Sonos also has restrictions on the size of album art. Some of the album art that dBpoweramp has picked up automatically is too large for the Sonos controller to display. Is there a way to automatically restrict the size of album art when multiple art files are available?

Being a newbie, I am confused as to what has been inserted into the flac file for album art. If I simply resize the folder.jpg file, is that adequate or do I need to somehow insert that smaller jpg into the flac file for Sonos to display it. If so, what is the easiest way to do that?

Many thanks for tolerating the newbie questions.

Administrator

Re: Replaygain and album art for Sonos

>Sonos also has restrictions on the size of album art. Some of the album art that
    >dBpoweramp has picked up automatically is too large for the Sonos controller to
    >display. Is there a way to automatically restrict the size of album art when multiple art
    >files are available?

CD Ripper >> Options >> Metadata & Id Tag

there is a maximum size for album art there, which defaults to 750x750

You would have to change the art in both folder.jpg and the embedded file, we have a utitlity codec 'ID Tag Processing' which can change the album art size, run it once on all your audio tracks, then run it again with the option to export to folder.jpg

There should be no difference between dBpoweramp writing of replaygain and foobar, it you ask me it is a shot in the dark, for one of hte tracks which does not work, let foobar write the replaygain value then compare the ID tags (before and after, with right click >> edit id tag)

Where is the 'ID Tag Processing' utility codec? Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by pumafred View Post
    Where is the 'ID Tag Processing' utility codec? Thanks.
    look at bottom of this page. I think it is ID TAG UPDATE. Download and install
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm
    Last edited by garym; 01-21-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Spoon -

You are indeed Da Man. I'm not sure what is going on with Sonos and replaygain, but it's not a dBpoweramp issue. I've tried using foobar2000 to set the tags and still Sonos does not recognize them. The dBpoweramp and foobar2000 tags are written identically. Thanks for your help though.

As for the album art size limit, it's not a pixel limit, but rather a file size limit. The limit applies only to certain controllers, and is 256K. (Actually, there is a pixel limit also, but it is much larger than 750 X 750.) After looking at the metadata options, it appears there is not an automatic file size limit in dBpoweramp. Is that correct?

I have the same issue in the ID TAG UPDATE utility. It is going after a pixel size issue where I have a total file size issue. I'm not sure what is embedded in the flac file, but i assume it is the entire .jpg in a format similar to (if not identical to) the folder.jpg file that dBpoweramp creates. I can reduce the size of the folder.jpg file with a photo utility (or just find a different art file), but how do I put the updated file into the flac? Your utility seems to go the other way. Or am I missing something?

Thanks
    Last edited by RadicalDad; 01-22-2011 at 07:27 PM.