title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Error "unable to open file"

Error "unable to open file"

OK, I know I am doing something *REALLY* stupid. I just got a new machine and was testing the converter (have Reference ver 13.x).

When using the dynamic option I get this. Same if even writing to the E drive (music\music directory). No obvious issues with the program re-load it works if I convert to the same directory. Don't think I have a path issue but perhaps...

Error converting to Apple Lossless,
    'C:\Temp\Batman\jg87-02-15.077836.odp.sbd.miller.sbeok.flac16\jg87-02-15.077836.odp.sbd.miller.sbeok.flac16\odp1987-02-15d1t01.flac'
    to 'E:\Music\Music\odp1987-02-15d1t01.m4a'
    Error unable to open File 'E:\Music\Music\odp1987-02-15d1t01.m4a'
    for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion

Also I seem to get 4 cores in use. Have 6. Is 4 the max for 13.x? Would I need to upgrade to 14 to get the full 6 cores working together?

Thanks for a great product tat I've used quite happily for many years.

Administrator

Re: Error "unable to open file"

R13 has a maximum of 4 cores, R14 is 12 off the top of my head.

What is drive e on your system?

Thansk for info on cores.

Drive e: is the same drive used on prior machine. 1.5T internal SATA drive. Simply moved the HD over to the newe machine and kept the paths the same in the converter. I know I need to triple check that I didn't mess that up.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JBS View Post
    Drive e: is the same drive used on prior machine. 1.5T internal SATA drive. Simply moved the HD over to the newe machine and kept the paths the same in the converter..
    You have probably got a permissions issue on the e: drive. Right click the drive and select properties>security tab and change the permissions.

Yeah, that was the first thing I did after I saw the error. Went to manage the permissions. Loosened them up (two different ways) and still the error. I'll fight with it again tonight and expect it is something pretty stupid. Only spent about 20 minutes so far which is tiny in troubleshooting time .

Did more troubleshooting last night. It would write to the root of E: but nowhere else down the file structure. So I went back and changed permissions three times. Eventually the permission changes took. No idea why it took three tries. Nor why the took after the third one. Always unsettling when a definitive solution is not identified. But it all works as it should and no fault of the software.

Just a FYI for the archive, box is running Win 7, 64 bit.