title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RipNAS stopped ripping

RipNAS stopped ripping

Hi,

My RipNAS has stopped ripping. When a CD is pushed in, it spins up a bit and then spins down, and the RipNAS page on the Windows Home Server Console continues showing Status: Idle (waiting for CD).

Administrative Tools > Services shows dBpowerampRipNAS is Started. Task manager shows 'Batch Ripper.exe', 'BatchRipperService.exe', 'CDGrab.exe' are running.

Settings are:

WHS Console > Settings > RipNAS
    Version: Release 1.6
    Encoder: FLAC
    DSP Effects & Actions:
    ReplayGain
    Move Destination File
    Audio CD Ripping Engine: On

I see there was a similar problem in:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=22096

...where the solution was to make sure the C drive wasn't full. Mine
    isn't, and neither is the D drive.

I've also tried emptying the C:\RipNAS-Results directory having noticed some reports of corruption but without any change.

Please help!

I don't know if this is related but...

Prior to this attempt I hadn't ripped any CDs for a while (a few months). Then, when trying to rip a new CD, I found the CD drive wouldn't pull the CD all the way in - it would only take in as far as just inside the lip of the unit before spitting it out again. The CD drive has now been replaced with a new DW-224SL, and this is when I'm seeing this problem of no longer ripping.

Administrator

Re: RipNAS stopped ripping

Insert 3 different CDs, and if they are sat in the drive without the ripnas recognizing the discs, remote desktop connect in, open file explorer and open the CD drive icon, if a popup shows saying 'insert CD' then the CD drive has died and the product needs repairing.

I'd don't have access to the device right now, but I'll try as you suggest tonight.

However it looks like the CD drive is ok: after writing my initial message I went into CD Ripper and the tracks displayed straight away, I think without spinning up the drive. I.e. it looked like the initial spinup pulled in the track info?

Then I manually started Batch Ripper from the Start Menu and the CD ejected. When I put the CD in again, it spun up and started ripping. At this point Task Manager was showing two 'Batch Ripper.exe' and two CDGrab.exe processes running, one each under Administrator (which I was logged in as) and one each under SYSTEM, and in the Applications tab was showing something like: [XX%] dBpoweramp CD Ripper: Ripping "CD title"

When the CD spun down, the Windows interface seemed lock up for a while, windows weren't refreshed, I couldn't click on anything etc., Task Manager was still sitting on top at this point and the Applications tab was showing Status 'Not Responding' for both 'dBpoweramp CD Ripper' and 'Windows Home Server Console' for a while, then a minute or two later Windows start responding again and the CD ejected.

Administrator

You should not start batch ripper, as there is one running in the service account.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You should not start batch ripper, as there is one running in the service account.
    Yes, I realise that Batch Ripper is running already, but it seems interesting that the one that's running doesn't rip automatically whereas the one I started manually does.

I tries the 3 CDs as suggested, with two that have been previously ripped some time ago and one new one. None of them started ripping automatically but upon opening the CD drive in Explorer all of them showed the tracks as Track01.cda, Track02.cda etc.

Administrator

Have you tried a full shut down and restart?

When it restarts only Batch Ripper.exe and the BatchRipperService.exe should be running, if you insert a CD then CDGrab.exe will appear to indicate that batch ripper has detected the disc.

Has anything changed on the system recently? which drive letter is the CD drive if you remote desktop connect in?

Have you tried a full shut down and restart?
    Yes, multiple times since the problem started.

When it restarts only Batch Ripper.exe and the BatchRipperService.exe should be running, if you insert a CD then CDGrab.exe will appear to indicate that batch ripper has detected the disc.
    Yes, that's what I observe using Task Manager.

Has anything changed on the system recently
    Not recently, but since the last time I ripped successfully Asset has been uninstalled and Twonky Media installed. And of course the CD drive itself has been replaced, per my first post.

which drive letter is the CD drive if you remote desktop connect in?
    E

Administrator

See your Personal Message of this forum

For the record, the problem was the RipNAS not recognizing the newly installed CD drive. Spoon was able to help me get this going. Thanks!

Hello everybody,

I am new to this and have just purchased only the software. I am trying to activate the ripping process with a BENQ external CD-Drive - without any luck.

The message in WHS stays "idle". It seems that my CD-Drive is not recognized however I can configure it with the Batch Ripper Configuration menue.

The drive Letter is "E" (as C is system and D is Data on WHS).

Can you possibly help, Spoon?

Thank you and best regards,

smack2211

Administrator

You have the RipNAS Essentials software?

Hello Spoon,

yes, actually I have. Bought it yesterday, version 1.8.

When I start the ripping program manually (Start/Programs/) I am able to rip CDs and the CD-Player works. When I hit the eject button in the WHS console the CD ejects.

Thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Try uninstalling, then reinstalling, with ripnas essentials you do not need to run anything as the hidden ripper is already running.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled four times (always shutting the server down and starting again). It seems that neither Batch Ripper.exe nor BatchRipperService.exe can be found in the services or in the task manager ...

Administrator

Using WHS v1 or 2011?