title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Keep Origianl flac. files and create new wav. files

Keep Origianl flac. files and create new wav. files

Hi,

I have approx 44000 songs in flac that i need to keep as flac for my home automation system, but now have a ipod and iphone. Itunes wont work with flac. files so i need to convert them. I was thinking of using the dbpoweramp software as i can batch by say "a" then "b" etc...

How do i go about it so that i keep the originals and make a copy in a new file called say iTunes.. and convet them as a wav file.?

Thanks

Andy

Administrator

Re: Keep Origianl flac. files and create new wav. files

You would be better writing Apple Lossless, unless you specifically tell dBpoweramp to delete the source files they will be left untouched when converting.

Quote Originally Posted by andysantics View Post
    I was thinking of using the dbpoweramp software as i can batch by say "a" then "b" etc...
    dBpoweramp will do this fine, but as Spoon suggests, unless you really need to go to WAV for some other reason you'd be better to go direct from FLAC to Apple Lossless. You won't loose audio quality either way, but since Apple devices understand Apple Lossless anyway...

No need to split the batch. Just do the whole lot and use some dynamic folder allocation in dBpoweramp based on artist and album tags if you need to help make the resulting library more manageable. Lossless to lossless conversion is pretty fast too, so it won't take too long.

Quote Originally Posted by S80_UK View Post
    dBpoweramp will do this fine, but as Spoon suggests, unless you really need to go to WAV for some other reason you'd be better to go direct from FLAC to Apple Lossless. You won't loose audio quality either way, but since Apple devices understand Apple Lossless anyway...

No need to split the batch. Just do the whole lot and use some dynamic folder allocation in dBpoweramp based on artist and album tags if you need to help make the resulting library more manageable. Lossless to lossless conversion is pretty fast too, so it won't take too long.
    what is dynamic folder allocation? you say not too long, l have 40,000 flac music files would it take 12 hours for the transfer? l feel the computer may crash with this amount?

Administrator

The computer should not crash if it is running as it should even if it took all week.

Hi,
    Dynamic Folder location means using your Flac files metadata to create your folder structure (such as [Artist]/[Album]/[Track]-[Title].xxx), when using Batch Converter.

I do not have as many files as you do (10 000), but -as far as I'm concerned- conversion process has never failed, wether it takes 2 hours or 3 days. It seems very reliable.

Good luck !