title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Archiving to ALAC

Archiving to ALAC

I'm converting all my CDs to ALAC for archival and 100% accuracy is vital.

I've selected Ultra Secure; are there any other recommended settings? Should I use the option to check the audio accuracy on the ALAC file after or is that unnecessary if the Accuraterip checks out?

On a couple of (scratched) discs so far there were some tracks that came back as securely ripped but not matching the Accuraterip...I assume these are not to be trusted as "good", correct?

Thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Archiving to ALAC

Quote Originally Posted by cyniclaus View Post
    On a couple of (scratched) discs so far there were some tracks that came back as securely ripped but not matching the Accuraterip...I assume these are not to be trusted as "good", correct?
    If all of the other tracks are secure, with a confidence >2, and your tracks you are concerned about are "secure" then I would not trust them. You may be able to repair them with CueTools using the CTDB.

Administrator

>I assume these are not to be trusted as "good", correct?

If the confidence from AccurateRip was > 1 yes. Having a drive with c2 pointers can detect errors as well.

The option on ALAC to verify, just verifies it was written to the HDD correctly.

Thanks guys, I guess I'm doing it right... I'm making a pile of problem discs and I'll attack that problem once I get through with running my whole 2000+ collection.

In the meantime, I'll have to research if there is any reasonably-priced optical disc cleaner that actually works. :p

I'm converting all my CDs to ALAC for archival and 100% accuracy is vital.
    While not exactly the same thing, I recently converted several thousand FLAC files to ALAC using r14, and I used foobar2000's Binary Comparator to independently verify the conversion was accurate. This compares the encoded data between the source and destination files. It came out perfect, no differences at all. I haven't found any problems with the metadata, either. Album art and everything else transferred over fine. So dbpa's ALAC processing has been 100% reliable IME, which is something experience with other software has taught me can't be taken for granted.

dBpoweramp Guru

In the meantime, I'll have to research if there is any reasonably-priced optical disc cleaner that actually works. :p
    http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=60491