title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: New to RipNAS - Ripping My Entire Collection

New to RipNAS - Ripping My Entire Collection

Hi

I'm new to the forum, and have been reading the old threads, but have a specific scenario I would appreciate some guidance with. My 2011 project is to rerip my entire CD collection c2000 Albums to flac and have an MP3 version for my iPhone etc

I purchased RIPNAS essentials and a Teac drive to use with an HP Mediasmart 3TB server and have got it running, and have been experimenting with the software. Really impressed with the capabilities

I am now aware that secure ripping is not available in the RipNAS essentials version I have, so I'd like to understand how significant not having the secure ripping will be?

Would buying the standalone RIPNAS device to get secure ripping be an option?
    Would it be better to use another setup to create the files then move to the Mediasmart server?

I am choosing to rip flac at level 8, are they other recommendations to ensure I won't need to repeat or restart the exercise?

Any suggestions on the MP3 settings as well?

Re: New to RipNAS - Ripping My Entire Collection

Quote Originally Posted by alexd View Post
    how significant not having the secure ripping will be?
    Is this significant, so I get the reference addition as another optiion to the WHS RipNAS version

Would buying the standalone RIPNAS device to get secure ripping be an option?
    Thoughts?

I am choosing to rip flac at level 8, are they other recommendations to ensure I won't need to repeat or restart the exercise?

Any suggestions on the MP3 settings as well?
    Thoughts?

Administrator

Sorry I missed this thread first time around.

mp3 for the best quality select 320kbps cbr. Flac, it makes no difference really.

If secure ripping is important you have 2 choices:

A RipNAS
    Do it yourself on a PC with dBpoweramp CD Ripper.

Thanks Spoon, will use that ripping setup accordingly

So I'm likely to purchase the Reference edition to get secure ripping, then run it on either a atom based mini itx or an old dual core laptop.

I can then move onto the Mediaserver and have the Sonos or SB Boom access the flac files. The MP3 can then be imported into my Itunes library to use with my iPhone / iPods

It feels as if I should secure rip, to get an exact copy and won't have to do this again (this will be my 3 or 4 attempt to rip all CD over the last 10 years... i think the first time was 128kpbs for an mp3 player that used the 16MB Smartmedia cards!)

Is this assumption correct... I should be using Secure Ripping / Ultra Ripping to get the definitive sound files?

Administrator

If you need an assurance there are no errors.

Thanks Spoon, I think I will do it that way to be sure!