title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Serious Ripping Issue with dBpoweramp R14

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blk02
    • Dec 2010

Serious Ripping Issue with dBpoweramp R14

I just recently installed the 21 day trial of dBpoweramp R14 and I test ripped one of my perfectly clean CD's. I had already ripped the same CD error free prior to the install of dbpoweramp using WMP12 (note: the CD has not left the tray between the WMP12 rip and the dBpoweramp rip). I also installed the "Windows Media Audio 10 Pro Release 7 (Windows 7, Vista)" codec so I could rip to WMA Lossless using dBpoweramp. After ripping to both WMA Lossless and FLAC using dBpoweramp R14 I had skipping errors in some if not all of the recorded tracks in both formats at the same time stamps (AccurateRip did not catch the errors in either format "Verified 3"). After this result I started testing different scenerios to figure out what happened.

1) Tracks skipped at the same time stamp in both WMA Lossless and FLAC when played back with the dBpoweramp player. The WMA Lossless track skipped at the same time stamp when played back using WMP12.

2) Tried ripping to WMA Lossless using WMP12 and recieved the same result with skipping at the same time stamp. Ripping with WMP12 was also dramatically slowed down from prior to the dBpoweramp/codec install. Neither of these issued occured prior to the install of dBpoweramp/codec.

I initially attributed the errors to the WMA codec, so I uninstalled the WMA codec and restarted my system and tried test ripping all of the files again. The same skipping errors appeared when ripping with WMP12 to WMA Lossless and ripping to FLAC with dBpoweramp. I was now getting worried because something had to be screwed up. Either dBpoweramp was screwing something up or the uninstall of the WMA codec was not a true "uninstall". I then resorted to uninstalling dBpoweramp followed by a system restart. I again test ripped the CD and recieved the same skipping errors ripping to WMA Lossless using WMP12. Now I am really pissed. The initial install had altered something in my system that a uninstall could not fix.

As a last resort I fell back on my saved restore point. After restoring the computer it seems that all is well again. Same as it was before the dBpoweramp install. I test ripped the CD to WMA Lossless using WMP12 and it ripped perfectly fine and much faster than with dbpoweramp installed.

I dont know what caused this and I would like to know because dBpoweramp looks like a great program, but something seriously overstepped its bounds during install if it effected the functionality of WMP12 so dramatically. In addition, the effects could not be reversed with a uninstall.

System Specs:
    > Windows 7 x64
    > 8GB Ram
    > 2.66Ghz Q9450
    > 160GB Intel SSD G2 (System)
    > 640GB Hard Drive (Storage)
    > LITE-ON dvdrw LH-20A1L (Ripping Drive)
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Serious Ripping Issue with dBpoweramp R14

You have configured secure ripping?:

Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Blk02
      • Dec 2010

I configured accuraterip and it recognized my drive. I did not configure replaygain and I did not run the C2 error support test disk.

My main concern is not that secure rip was setup correctly, but why the install effected WMP12 so drastically. I might account the skipping to something in setup I missed, but the effect on WMP12 is all software related. The install also effected the error free WMA Lossless rip I had done prior to the dBpoweramp install. The previously error free rip now had the same audible errors during playback using either WMP12 or dBpoweramp. I will note however that after uninstalling dBpoweramp the audible error disappeared from its initial time stamp on track 10 and shifted to track 11 only a few seconds into the song. The audible error sounded like repetitive scratchy sounding clicks (there was not any skipping). If I played the CD directly from the drive there were no audible errors. My guess is that something either in the WMA codec or dBpoweramp is not playing nice with Windows 7 x64. dBpoweramp was auto installed in the (x86) folder.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

dBpoweramp cannot effect your existing ripped files. The WMA Codec includes the WMA system codecs (the install is a Microsoft one), but WMP12 does not use those codecs (it uses its own).
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>