title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Genre

Re: Multiple Genre

Spoon,

Loaded file into excel:

Column E, t_genre, has a value of "Genre1; Genre"

Column B, t_genre iID, has value of "Genre1; Genre2"

dBpoweramp Guru

That suggests asset is reading correctly, try using asset control to browse genres, genre2 should show the track

Spoon,

Asset Control displays the track under a single genre - "Genre1; Genre2". I tried cleaning up the tag, got rid of all comments, replay gain, art, etc. The tag is bare bones except for genre. Same result.

Administrator

Email one of your files with the 2 genres set:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/email.htm

Sample file sent 2/13 @ 8:50pm.

Administrator

I got it thanks, will check ASAP

Has there been any progress on this? I actually stumbled across Asset UPnP while scouring the Internet for a media server solution that supported multiple genres, but like the creator of this thread, I have been unable to get Asset UPnP functioning properly with mutliple genre tags in any way.

I've tried sereral different methods of editing the tags (including dbPoweramp) and I've tried a multitude of different delimiters (/ \ ; , etc) and none of them seem to be recognised by Asset as separate genres, it always just thinks the concatenation of the multiple genres is a new genre in itself.

Unlike most people that want this feature for their classical music libraries, my application is a little different. I just want multiple genre tags so that I can more easily categorise my metal.

I want to be able to label any track with multiple tags like "metal", "death metal", "melodic death metal", "female vocalist", "orchestral metal" etc and for tracks tagged with any of those to show up when i broase by any single one of those genres.

However, tacks that I am tagging as "Metal; Melodic Death Metal", which I want to show up while browsing either "Metal" or "Melodic Death Metal" aren't showing up in either of those, but instead under a new genre called "Metal; Melodic Death Metal".

As I said, none of the delimiters I have tried appear to be parsed by Asset UPnP, nor does a null character.

I've investigated a couple of other solutions that do support custom delimiters in the genre field (Squeezebox Server with WhiteBear and Twonky Media Server) however none of these have the awesome Browse Tree customisation options that Asset has, so I'm really hoping there's some way I can get it working in Asset.

Squeezebox server actually lets the user specify whatever delimiter they want to use.

This is the only thing stopping me from purchasing, so hopefully I can figure out how to get this happening before the free trial expires.

EDIT: forgot to mention, much like the OP, these are just regular MP3s with ID3v2 tags and I'm using XBMC as well as a PlayStation 3 as my test renderers.
    Last edited by acid255; 03-19-2011 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    For ID3v2 internally the multiple artists should be separated as:

Artist1/Artist2

if it is Artist1; Artist2 then MediaMonkey is just creating its own way of doing it.
    Hello Spoon,

regret to state that this does not work. I am using Asset (full version ) with Kinsky and facing always the same issues as decribed herein before: I got a new Genre where it says e.g. "Austropop / Singer-Songwriter" instead showing these files once under "Austropop" and once under "Singer-Songwriter". I use your ripping software too but often, I have to do tagging "by hand" thereafter, which I am usually doing with Tag&Rename (this is not an issue with the CD-Ripper rather than the crappy content of the Internet databases...!!). As I understood the structure, it is not an issue caused by Kinsky as the complete "management" is done by Asset (or any other program such as Minim, Win Mediaserver, etc.

As my Music collection is growing steadily, I'd like to things done the first time right. Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you.
    Regards, Dirk

dBpoweramp Guru

You would have to verify that the tagging program is writing multiples correctly, as each audio format is different, and some programs you enter in a standard artist1; artist2 way and the program writes the correct value to the tga.

Quote Originally Posted by ********* View Post
    You would have to verify that the tagging program is writing multiples correctly, as each audio format is different, and some programs you enter in a standard artist1; artist2 way and the program writes the correct value to the tga.
    Yes Sir, it does :smile2:

As suggested before here in this forum, I checked through the browser (right-click) the ID3 tags of the relevant files but regardless whether I am using ";" or "/" as a separator, the *.flac files are still being sorted into a new category rather than being divided into the two existing ones...; any other idea?

Frankly, i like Asset and do not want to try Twonky again (as some people say that Twonky does not have this issue...) - FYI: I am using Win7 Ultimate on the PC that runs both, Asset UPnP and Kinsky. The PC is part of a little (Home) network.
    Best regards, Dirk

Linn Akurate DSM / Akuarate 2200 / Piega C40 + 2x P1 Sub MKII / Denon AVC-A1 XVA / DVD-A! XVA / DVD 3800 BT / Piega P4 XL / Samsung TV UE 40 D6200 / Media-PC 4GB RAM, 2TB HDD / Asset UPnP / Kinsky

Administrator

Internally for FLAC you tags should be stored as:

GENRE=genre1
    GENRE=genre2

two separate tags, according to the vorbis tagging specification, if your tagger is not doing that then Asset will read as one genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Internally for FLAC you tags should be stored as:

GENRE=genre1
    GENRE=genre2

two separate tags, according to the vorbis tagging specification, if your tagger is not doing that then Asset will read as one genre.
    Spoon,
    thank you for this advice. Could you kindly give me an example for a program that is able to handle two different Genre entries: I have checked on Tag&Rename 3.5.7 and MP3Tag 2.49a and both do offer only one entry line for genre(s). Similarly, I do not find the support of two different genre files in either program that I do have from dbPoweramp (i.e. ripper, batch converter, etc.) - Having read through the help files, it seems that I cannot simply open another field, name this field "Genre(2)" and fill it out. Your help will be highly appreciated once more. Thank you. Dirk

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by senator1962 View Post
    Spoon,
    thank you for this advice. Could you kindly give me an example for a program that is able to handle two different Genre entries: I have checked on Tag&Rename 3.5.7 and MP3Tag 2.49a and both do offer only one entry line for genre(s). Similarly, I do not find the support of two different genre files in either program that I do have from dbPoweramp (i.e. ripper, batch converter, etc.) - Having read through the help files, it seems that I cannot simply open another field, name this field "Genre(2)" and fill it out. Your help will be highly appreciated once more. Thank you. Dirk
    you can give multiple genres to flac files in mp3tag. In the single genre location (place you enter genre) separate the two genres with \\ (double back slashes). In the columns of mp3tag the genre column may only show one. to show both, edit the genre column and change the value from %genre% to:
    $meta(genre)
    Last edited by garym; 03-13-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Wunderbar :-)
    Will try as soon as being back in Front of my PC

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    you can give multiple genres to flac files in mp3tag. In the single genre location (place you enter genre) separate the two genres with \\ (double back slashes). In the columns of mp3tag the genre column may only show one. to show both, edit the genre column and change the value from %genre% to:
    $meta(genre)
    Obviously I'm too stupid to get these things completed: still no results. Neither was I able to set-up in MP3Tag the Meta Genre nor did the songs appear after having them edited "manually"...; have you ever done it before? I think that I am not using any unusual software nor hardware: a simple Win7 (Ultimate) system with one HDD for all music files. The only thing is that my music server has no other software on except Asset and Kinsky. All tagging/ripping software is on another PC that is connected via network. Could this be a reason?
    Regards, Dirk