title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Genre

Multiple Genre

I use multiple Genre. MediaMonkey (my music manager software) separates the genres with the semicolon ( ; ). If i give multiple genres to songs like Pop and Blues; then they are shown separate in the Filter Pane "genre" column. (one in Pop an one Blues).

But in the Asset genre list, a new genre is created: "pop; blues"
    The song appears neither in pop nor in blues - only in the new genre "pop; blues"

How can i use more genres in one song?

Administrator

Re: Multiple Genre

For which audio type?

mp3 with id3 v2.3 Tags

Administrator

For ID3v2 internally the multiple artists should be separated as:

Artist1/Artist2

if it is Artist1; Artist2 then MediaMonkey is just creating its own way of doing it.

Multiple Artist works fine - my problem ist the multiple Genre!
    I have taken a look at a mp3 File with a HEX-Editor.
    The Artists are separated with the "/" , but the Genre are separated with the ";"

Administrator

This is a problem with MediaMonkey then.

Multiple Genre

How do ya send the same PM to multiple recipients? Separate usernames with a comma?

The ID3V2.4 standard specifies "All text information frames support multiple strings, stored as a null separated list..."

From my testing (with mp3 files), Mediamonkey is:

1. saving artist "AC/DC" as artist "AC/DC" in the tag. Asset is interpreting that as two separate artists. Asset appears to be in error in this case.

2. saving genre "rock; r&b" as "rock; r&b" in the tag. Asset is interpreting that as one genre. Mediamonkey appears to be in error in this case.

Other MP3 tag editors that I have tested (e.g. mp3tag and foobar2000) do save multiple string frames as a null separated list. These tags are not interpreted by Asset Upnp as containing multiple string frames.

Administrator

Asset will not read id3v2.4, for v2.3 the standard is to use '/' to separate.

OK, I'm stumped.

Tried using MP3nity, Tagscanner, MP3Tag, and MPTagThat to write ID3V2.3 tags. Within each application, I tried entering a hard "/", and where I could find it, using the application's method (e.g. MP3Tag uses "\\" to separate genres in the editing dialog box but puts a "/" in the tag itself). Can't get multiple genres out of Asset.

I am missing something? Have you used any of the above taggers with success in this use case? Can you recommend a tagger that can make use of this Asset feature?

Thanks, really like your app!

Administrator

The tag editors might allow the entry of multiples seperated by ';' just for user interaction, if you right click on a file >> Edit ID Tag (dBpoweramp offers this on the right click) then set genre to:

Genre1; Genre2

Asset will read both.

I really appreciate your quick response, I know you must be busy.

I tried setting the tags with dbpoweramp (right clicking 'Edit ID Tag", etc.). Still didn't work. I tried separating the genre field with ";", "; " and "/".

My setup is Asset UPnp server, with WDTV Live Plus and/or Foobar as renderers.

Minor peculiarity I noticed:

In dbpoweramp configuration dialog, where you choose to have items listed in IE context menus, if I uncheck the 'Convert to' box and check the 'Edit ID Tag' box, the 'Edit ID Tag" option disappears from the IE context menu. I have to check both boxes in order to get 'Edit ID Tag' to show up in the IE context menu.

Administrator

If you save the multiple genres with dBpoweramp tag editor (Genre1; Genre2) then make sure asset has updated with Refresh (Detecting Changes) in Asset Configuration.

After this run to:

C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\uMediaLibrary-dumpdb.exe

save the file and load into Excel (or equivalent), then look at the file in question, see what it says for genre.

Spoon,

Nothing shows up but an empty UMLnn.tmp.txt file. Do I need to run a different command as I'm running Asset UPnP on a WHS box? I know Asset is running because the updated mp3 shows up on my renderers, sadly under one genre still....

Administrator

Install Asset on your PC, then copy the folder (on the ripnas)

C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\dBpoweramp\uMediaLibrary

to %appdata%\dBpoweramp\uMediaLibrary

on the PC then run the dump db from the PC.