title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Error Converting FLAC Files on Network Share to MP3

Error Converting FLAC Files on Network Share to MP3

I have multiple files located on a network share that have been converted to FLAC by dBpoweramp R14 on my main workstation (Windows 7 Ultimate x64). The server is running Mac OS X Server 10.6.5 (Snow Leopard) and is using SMB as the file sharing protocol. When browsing the read-only share from another computer (also Windows 7 Ultimate x64), if I attempt to convert a FLAC file to MP3 I receive the following error:

Error converting to mp3 (Lame), 'M:\V\Various Artists\Rolling Stone Magazine's 500 Greatest Songs of all Time\275 - Bruce Springsteen - Born in the u.s.a.[921].flac' to 'C:\Users\guest\Desktop\Converted Music\275 - Bruce Springsteen - Born in the u.s.a.[921].mp3'
    Error reading metadata

If I copy the FLAC file by dragging and dropping it on the desktop and then attempt to convert it the conversion completes successfully. I then tried making the FLAC file read-only after copying it to my desktop but dBpoweramp still worked correctly in that situation as well. There's obviously no problem with the file itself but dBpoweramp seems to have a problem when the file resides on a read-only network share. Why does dBpoweramp have a problem in this situation and how can I fix this?

Administrator

Re: Error Converting FLAC Files on Network Share to MP3

Possible bug noted.

I had an opportunity to try a couple more test cases using a Windows Home Server setup as the SMB share. The actual error messages vary slightly but here's the final scorecard:

Windows Share with Read/Write Access - Pass
    Windows Share with Read-only Access - Fail
    MAC OS X Share with Read/Write Access - Fail
    MAC OS X Share with Read-only Access - Fail

Administrator

>MAC OS X Share with Read/Write Access - Fail

This one should have passed, even though the network has write access the file might have that network user account to not have access, try copying a file to the network share from the windows pc.

Administrator

Had a look at this, could not reproduce (off a WHS with read only), using the latest FLAC codec (in R14).