title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD Ripper suddenly starts crashing

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MBlue72
    • Aug 2008

CD Ripper suddenly starts crashing

Well, this is crazy. I have used CD Ripper (Ref 13) since September, 2008 to rip my entire classical music collection of 650+ CDs. It has performed wonderfully and I cannot remember any significant problems or glitches. Suddenly, earlier today, it has started to crash with almost all CDs I insert into the CD tray! But it still accepts and appears ready to rip a minority (20%?). I have the same results even with CDs it already ripped to my hard drive. I rebooted the sytem - no change. Since I have been considering upgrading to Ref 14 anyway, I decided to go ahead and I upgraded a couple of hours ago. No change. Still the same behavior.

I open CD Ripper and it looks fine. I insert a CD into the tray and when it is inserted (either manually or from within CD Ripper), the application crashes. I get the standard windows message “dBpoweramp CD Ripper has stopped working” and Windows offers to check for a solution (that it never finds).

I am on Windows 7 Ultimate with plenty of RAM, etc. This is the exact same system that I’ve used for the last 650 CDs. I cannot think of any significant change I made that would affect CD Ripper.

Can anyone help with ideas?

Thanks,

Dave
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: CD Ripper suddenly starts crashing

You are using R13.5?

Try a fresh clear of all settings:

...also how to do a full reset of dBpoweramp? (if dBpoweramp crashes for some reason) Where does dBpoweramp save its files / settings? It is installed to c:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp or c:\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpoweramp The 64 bit version of dBpoweramp is installed to: c:\Program Files\dBpoweramp It

Then reinstall and try to rip a CD using the default settings (before you start enabling c2 pointers, etc).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• MBlue72
      • Aug 2008

Spoon:

Thanks for your quick response.

Well I was using R13-Ref (how do I tell version number?) until yesterday when i upgraded to R14.

Shall I still follow through with your recommended actions?

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Yes
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• MBlue72
          • Aug 2008

Spoon:

No go. Here's what I did:

1)... uninstalled all dBpoweramp programs
          2)... shut down completely
          3)... ran the reset program
          4)... re-installed dBpoweramp Ref 14
          5)... left everything in default modes
          6)... configured CD drive when asked
          7)... opened tray from within dBpoweramp
          8)... placed a CD in tray (this CD has already been successfully ripped by the program)
          9)... closed tray from within dBpoweramp
          10)... crash with same message from Windows (see my original post)

Ugh. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Without the CD in the system, on the metadata drop menu (drop arrow to the right of metadata) uncheck the 'AMG' metadata item, if still no go try unchecking the others too.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• MBlue72
              • Aug 2008

Spoon:

Great! It seems to be working fine again. Here's what I did:

1)... I followed your instructions, unchecking only the AMG box
              2)... tried a CD that the program had successfully ripped before. It ripped it fine.
              3)... tried a new CD that had never been ripped. It ripped fine.

Both the CDs in steps 2 and 3 had crashed the system earlier.

So can I go back and check AMG? FYI, I've had the best luck with AMG for classical music metadata.

Thanks very much!

Dave

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Something on your system is changing the internet data as it arrives, AMG (the code we run from AMG themselves) cannot handle their data being changed, so either your router or security software is changing the internet data.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• MBlue72
                  • Aug 2008

Spoon:

OK, thanks very much for your help. Yesterday I ripped 2 CDs without problem (with AMG unchecked).

Given your explanation of the possible cause of the underlying problem, I can think of two changes made in the last month that may be the real culprit. First I have finally given up on our local wireless ISP. We live in a very rural area without cable, DSL, etc. Last month I signed up with HughesNet (satellite internet). After the tech installed the HughesNet modem there were compatibility issues between the modem and my Belkin router. I eventually had to reconfigure the router to act as an access point. Second, I changed AV software from McAfee to Microsoft Security Essentials. One of these changes undoubtedly triggered this problem.

It is frustrating that I have to lose access to AMG though. Do you know of any workaround?

Thanks again for your help. I like dBpoweramp very much and have certainly gotten my money’s worth.

Dave

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

We do not have access to AMGs code to change, Microsoft Security Essentials should not effect it as I run that also.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• MBlue72
                      • Aug 2008

OK, thanks. I'll experiment a little.

And thanks again for an excellent application and timely help.

Dave

Comment

Working...

]]>