title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: missing 'composer' field in XP explorer columns

missing 'composer' field in XP explorer columns

dMC v.14
    XP Pro SP3

I wiped my HD and reinstalled everything. I'm sure I used to have 'composer' listed as one of the Standard Columns in "Windows Explorer Columns" when I clicked the "Advanced" button that's to the right of the "Enable Explorer Columns (Windows XP)" checkbox under the "Music Converter" tab in "dBpoweramp Configuration." Now I don't. "Enable Explorer Columns" is checked.

I'm sure I used to be able to sort my Windows Explorer MP3 file display by clicking the 'Composer' column. Now I can't because there isn't a 'composer' column to add after my reinstall. :(

'Composer' still appears as a field if I edit the ID-tag of an MP3 file by using the "Edit ID-Tag" choice when I right-click on an MP3 file in Windows Explorer.

So what's up?

Administrator

Re: missing 'composer' field in XP explorer columns

You would right click on a column header and add the Composer column.

Wow, you're usually so right on Spoon, but this time you didn't read my post carefully. There is no 'Composer' choice available. That's the problem. Of all the possible columns in the list that I can add, 'Composer' does NOT appear. All the other usual suspects are there: bit rate, length, artist, album, album title, track number, genre, etc.

Now do you understand?

Administrator

The dBpoweramp columns are listed at the end of the list (so you will have 2 bitrates one at the top, one at the bottom), if you do not have this...uninstall dbpoweramp, reboot windows then reinstall.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The dBpoweramp columns are listed at the end of the list (so you will have 2 bitrates one at the top, one at the bottom), if you do not have this...uninstall dbpoweramp, reboot windows then reinstall.
    Sorry, but this doesn't work. I still don't have a 'Composer' column. I just noticed that I also don't have a 'Conductor' column either.

I've got SnagIt, which allows me to capture the entire contents of a scrolling window. I've got the entire contents of the window entitled "dBpoweramp Configuration: Explorer Columns Advanced" and I can send it in practically any graphics file format you choose.

I've also captured the entire "Standard Columns" list from that window in plain text. Here's what it contains:

Standard Columns

Length

Bit Rate

Audio Quality

Rating

Artist

Title

Album

Track Number

Genre

Year

Comment

Album - Track Number

Artist - Album - Track Number

Channels

Sample Rate

Sample Size

Original Size

Contains

Protected

As you can see, there's no 'Composer' or 'Conductor' column, even after uninstalling dBpoweramp R14, rebooting and reinstalling dBpoweramp.

I'm going to uninstall R14 again and try R13. I'll report on my results soon.

Same problem now with R13.3. (I know R13.5 was last of R13.)

I not only uninstalled R14 and rebooted again, this time I also uninstalled all the codecs and the DSP add-on too after rebooting. I rebooted yet again and ran a registry cleaner before installing R13.3. I forgot to delete the C:\Program Files\Illustrate folder though. (Windows XP Pro SP3 up-to-date)

I think I started with dMC R11. I don't remember when I started incorporating dMC into Windows Explorer columns, but I'm pretty sure I was doing that with R13 and I know I was using the 'Composer' column with R14 before I wiped my HD and reinstalled everything.

The only thing I can think of that's different from my previous installation is that I installed IE8 this time whereas I had IE7 installed before. (I don't use IE, I use Firefox.)

Also, yes I'm right-clicking on an explorer column and selecting "More..." to see all the columns available to choose from when I'm looking at a folder full of MP3 files in Windows Explorer.

Administrator

Those are not there by default, but you should be able to add them on the advanced page (dBpoweramp Configuration >> Music Converter >> Enable Explorer Columns... Advanced).

Those are not there by default, but you should be able to add them on the advanced page (dBpoweramp Configuration >> Music Converter >> Enable Explorer Columns... Advanced).
    This is extremely frustrating. There is no correlation between what should be and what is. What is it about what follows in red that you don't understand?

I've also captured the entire "Standard Columns" list from that window in plain text. Here's what it contains:

Standard Columns

Length

Bit Rate

Audio Quality

Rating

Artist

Title

Album

Track Number

Genre

Year

Comment

Album - Track Number

Channels

Sample Rate

Sample Size

Original Size

Contains

Protected

Look, I've put the dBPoweramp configuration window I see up on Flickr. Here's the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/49799743@N06/5228836907 Just look at it. This is the "advanced page" where you incorrectly tell me I should see the 'Composer' column. Dare to look and you will see that 'Composer' is not there.

Sorry, but I am now really frustrated by your inability to comprehend that when I open dBpoweramp Configuration >> Music Converter >> Enable Explorer Columns... Advanced there is NO 'Composer' column.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, look at the picture on Flickr.

BTW, I have reinstalled R14 but so far have not reinstalled any codecs or the DSP add-on.

Administrator

Sorry for my incorrect advice, quick checking on XP is not easy (this feature cannot run on Vista or Windows 7). I am thinking that dBpoweramp has never supplied composer to Windows in this fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by wifiguy View Post
    I know I was using the 'Composer' column with R14 before I wiped my HD and reinstalled everything.
    It's precisely because I was sorting folders of MP3 files by Composer in Windows Explorer that I noticed it's now missing after reinstalling XP Pro and my programs, including dMC.

I now have a 'Composer' column in Windows Explorer because I unchecked the checkbox in dBpoweramp Configuration >> Music Converter >> Enable Explorer Columns and installed the free program AudioShell. I think this is independent proof that the 'Composer' column can be made available in Windows Explorer under XP Pro SP3.

I prefer the ID3 tag info popup window I get with dMC, but I'll live with the AudioShell popup until this problem is straightened out.

It's precisely because I was sorting folders of MP3 files by Composer in Windows Explorer that I noticed it's now missing after reinstalling XP Pro and my programs, including dMC.

I now have a 'Composer' column in Windows Explorer because I unchecked the checkbox in dBpoweramp Configuration >> Music Converter >> Enable Explorer Columns and installed the free program AudioShell. I think this is independent proof that the 'Composer' column can be made available in Windows Explorer under XP Pro SP3.

I prefer the ID3 tag info popup window I get with dMC, but I'll live with the AudioShell popup until this problem is straightened out.
    Change the resolution on your monitor, it may then show up. I had same problem, and did a fine tune of monitor size when I was missing comments section and another field section to far right of dBp screen. It reappeared then.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

This is extremely frustrating. There is no correlation between what should be and what is. What is it about what follows in red that you don't understand?

Standard Columns

Length

Bit Rate

Audio Quality

Rating

Artist

Title

Album

Track Number

Genre

Year

Comment

Album - Track Number

Channels

Sample Rate

Sample Size

Original Size

Contains

Protected

Look, I've put the dBPoweramp configuration window I see up on Flickr. Here's the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/49799743@N06/5228836907 Just look at it. This is the "advanced page" where you incorrectly tell me I should see the 'Composer' column. Dare to look and you will see that 'Composer' is not there.

Sorry, but I am now really frustrated by your inability to comprehend that when I open dBpoweramp Configuration >> Music Converter >> Enable Explorer Columns... Advanced there is NO 'Composer' column.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, look at the picture on Flickr.

BTW, I have reinstalled R14 but so far have not reinstalled any codecs or the DSP add-on.
    Sorry for my incorrect advice, quick checking on XP is not easy (this feature cannot run on Vista or Windows 7). I am thinking that dBpoweramp has never supplied composer to Windows in this fashion.
    Ok, I am running windows 7 & I do not have any of the explorer options available under the advanced configurations, it is totally grayed out.

From what I gather reading this thread, is this feature or setting of (windows explore columns) not available on windows vista & 7? period?

I posted a thread about this, with no responses so far, if this is the case, I wish someone could just tell me, so I dont feel like I have been a bit shortchanged on the upgrade to the reference 14 version that I just bought.

Administrator

> is this feature or setting of (windows explore columns) not available on windows vista & 7? period?

Windows Vista and Windows 7 no longer support the old method.

>so I dont feel like I have been a bit shortchanged on the upgrade to the reference 14 version that I just bought.

It is the Windows version not Rxx version of dBpoweramp.