title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD Ripper auto copy/move each file after successful rip

CD Ripper auto copy/move each file after successful rip

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before (and I cannot find this anywhere in the config).

Ideally I want to use dbpoweramp for ripping my cd collection (to aiff) and use iTunes for database management. This is a massive task.

What I would like is a feature to automatically copy/move each successfully ripped file, just after it has finished ripping to a selectable folder. I notice there is a feature to do this for error files, but not for successful files...

Reason: I would like to move ripped files one by one to iTunes 'Automatically Add To iTunes' folder in the order they are ripped. If I import files in bulk, iTunes will screw up the 'date added' order, whereas if I rip with iTunes (shudder) it will group the CD's very neatly when viewed in 'date added' order. Instead, if they could be moved to the automatic folder, one by one, just after they are ripped (before dbpoweramp moves onto the next track) then they will appear in the same neat order as if iTunes ripped them.

Thanks!

Administrator

Re: CD Ripper auto copy/move each file after successful rip

Can you not rip them to that folder direct?

dBpoweramp Guru

Spoon, is there a reason we can't get the option to move all of the files from a disc if any of the tracks have an error to a different directory?

Administrator

No reason other than popularity.

dBpoweramp Guru

Seems as though it would be easy to implement as an OPTION. Also, I imagine that this would be very popular with HA type users. They same that care about AR and secure ripping. In terms of pure popularity itunes does very well for most users. dBpoweramp is a niche product and should focus on building its strenghts to support those niche users.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Can you not rip them to that folder direct?
    Hi Spoon, certainly you can, but it doesn't work properly. iTunes has no way of knowing when the file is 100% complete and ready for loading, so sometimes it will inadvertently import the file early before dbPoweramp has completed the required tasks, eg: rip, id3 tag write etc etc.

Hoping this might be added as an option somehow :-)

Thanks

any further consideration of this request?

...as a DSP option perhaps: 'Move Destination File on Success'

This would allow perfect ripping using dbPoweramp, with the convenience of iTunes as a database/file management interface.

Thanks
    Last edited by boogieman; 02-19-2011 at 04:04 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by EliC View Post
    Spoon, is there a reason we can't get the option to move all of the files from a disc if any of the tracks have an error to a different directory?
    I think this is a very useful feature. Especially during batch ripping. I tried the batch ripper, but I've found that either album art cannot be found or not the resolution I want it to be, rip error, track information wrong or not available. It certainly would be nice if we could just keep these in a different location to make it easier to correct at a later time.

dBpoweramp Guru

Spoon, its an easy feature, and I think more people would like to have it then you realize. Or possibly consider open-sourcing some of the DSPs...

If there are any programmers reading this, this could be done by the end user as the DSP architecture is now open.
    Last edited by EliC; 03-01-2011 at 08:34 AM.

keeping fingers crossed... I need to resume ripping more of my CDs very soon and will need to get through hundreds of them... and I really want to use dbpoweramp for ripping, with the convenience of itunes as a database...

Thank you

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

does the dsp function "move destination file on error" work this way?

Administrator

No it is the opposite

Thank you all for your interest in this idea.

I truly believe this would be a brilliant (i guess via DSP) feature to add to dbpoweramp. I've tried 3rd party apps running alongside dbpoweramp to try and get this work, but it usually fails some/most of the time.

The solution I see (for those wanting to use the best of both applications as I do) is to rip everything into a single folder via dbpoweramp (eg: c:\rip) then the DSP would move each completed file into a specified location (eg: Automatically add to iTunes), one by one, after each song; meaning, not until a song is ripped, converted and tag processes are complete. Then it would move onto the next song as per normal. dbpoweramp should handle this task as only it truly knows when it has finished each song.

The reason for this is iTunes will then sort in 'date added' order correctly, as if it ripped the songs one by one itself. If you just dump a pile of files in that folder, or bulk import via the drop-down menus, you end up with a very messed up song order.

This way we can have the ease of iTunes library management, with the unrivalled accuracy and flexibility of dbpoweramp.

dBpoweramp Guru

spoon, clearly there is some interest here to make this DSP more powerfull and more customizable for what the end user wants and needs. Should be relatively easy features to add.

I don't know if any of the requesters have any programming experience. I have talked with a few developers about the DSP architecture and they have said they are not clear (don't know personally as I'm not a programmer). As I have suggested before maybe open sourcing one or more of the DSPs would allow developers to customize those DSPs (namely this one in question) as well as serve as example for how the DSPs interact with the DSP plugin system.

Can anyone on this forum assist to write this as a DSP? I would happy to pay for their work. Spoon? Anyone? Please?