title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Non-destructive Real audio to mp3 ??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ward
    • Mar 2008

Non-destructive Real audio to mp3 ??

i have a very large number or programs in real audio that i real want to convert to mp3. Trick is they are music file each about 28-30 megs each. Since real audio file are basically dead at this point and i can only real find two programs to play them i need them in a better more useful format.

Main trick is how to convert them to a close file size with no loss in quality. Since i don't know what format real audio uses for encoding is there a way to use some form of non-destructive conversion to mp3. If i have ot re-encode them what settings would audiophile recommend. I hate to convert them to flac because although i know im getting all the quality of the original file the flac file is for to huge i want to keep the file size as close to original without altering the quality.

Cant someone help, this is of paramount importance to me, thanks.
  • ward
    • Mar 2008

Re: Non-destructive Real audio to mp3 ??

can someone help? i realize that poweramp wont convert real audio but im interested if the concept can be done, i use db poweramp for all cd ripped and conversion personally.

Comment

• Jamil
      • Oct 2005

Re: Non-destructive Real audio to mp3 ??

I know nothing of the Real Audio format, but my understanding of the format is that it's FM stereo quality. You've lost quality already by simply using this format. My understanding is that you wish to convert to another format without losing even more quality.

I do not know what audio interfaces you have (or even what version of Wndows), but there are a few sound cards that allow you to redirect output and record the played sound. This worked under Windows XP. I am not sure if it works under newer versions of Wndows though.

If you have multiple computers (like a desktop and a laptop), you could always play the Real Audio files from one computer with audio connected to the other that records. Note however that you will be going through Windows' built-in audio that can automatically resample lessening the audio quality. Additionally, you're also going through a D/A to A/D conversion that may also impact the quality.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...

]]>