title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Convert stereo mp3 to mono mp3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • odindarkest
    • Oct 2010

Convert stereo mp3 to mono mp3

Hello,
    I want to convert a bunch of mp3 files (on stereo format) into mono format, I right click on the files -> convert to-> mp3(lame) and on advanced I select "1 mono" on channels. All works fine but if I try to listen to the mp3 file on winamp or any other player, it doesn't sound anything. although the "equalizer bars" seem to dance as if it were playing music, nothing is heard.

Do you know what's happening?

Thanks
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Convert stereo mp3 to mono mp3

Try using a DSP effect 'Channel Count' set as one.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• odindarkest
      • Oct 2010

Thanks Spoon, I've done it, but it's not working like i wanted, let me explain quickly:
      What I want is to "merge" the sounds from L and R channels into 1 single channel (mono) I mean, I want to hear in mono format the merged music from the original 2 stereo channels.
      I did the conversion to mono following your advice and it worked but on both channels i can hear only the music that was originally from the L channel.
      I hope I explained myself, do you know how can i do that "merge" thing?

Comment

• odindarkest
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by odindarkest
        Thanks Spoon, I've done it, but it's not working like i wanted, let me explain quickly:
        What I want is to "merge" the sounds from L and R channels into 1 single channel (mono) I mean, I want to hear in mono format the merged music from the original 2 stereo channels.
        I did the conversion to mono following your advice and it worked but on both channels i can hear only the music that was originally from the L channel.
        I hope I explained myself, do you know how can i do that "merge" thing?
        Ok wait, i put channel mapper, select 1 channel, and inside that i put both channels 1 and 2 and it does what i want.
        However, even if i select target-quality-extreme, the resulting song does not have the same quality (it kind of has "distortion" on parts where is more bass and drums). do you know what can i do to preserve the same good quality as the original song?

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Try your conversions to wave until you get the channel mapping right, a distortion suggests clipping.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Tigerman
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Mar 2005

see this topic to prevent the outcome from clipping

Comment

Working...

]]>