title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: UI not responding while retrieving metadata

UI not responding while retrieving metadata

Bug report using R14 on Win7 x64.

Insert CD.
    UI says CD is in AccurateRip, no song details available yet.
    Window title changes to (not responding), meaning windows detected the UI is not pumping messages.
    Time goes by, maybe 15s (Edit, I've seen it take more than two minutes), UI not responding text goes away (UI is again pumping messages).
    Tooltip overlay text appears near meta toolbar button stating that meta data was retrieved from sources.
    The tooltip z-order is topmost (Edit, I've seen it with other info messages as well), meaning that the tooltip shows up over other windows while I am working.
    Song metadata is displayed.

To summarize; UI stops responding while retrieving metadata (not pumping window messages), tooltips are painted on top of other windows (wrong z-order).

P.
    Last edited by ptr727; 10-14-2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Add more info

Administrator

Re: UI not responding while retrieving metadata

Which metadata options have you enabled, all the internet ones should be on sub-threads which would not block the message queue, but something like ISRC would be on the main thread as it is reading the CD drive.

I did not change any meta options after installing, so they are all still enabled.

I have "Virtual CD" installed on both my machines, one machine has very fast internet access, one has slow internet access.

On disc insertion Virtual CD also retrieves disc information from the internet, and this appears to hold up data access while the information is being retrieved. This is very noticeable on a slow connection.

I un-installed Virtual CD, and the R14 UI no longer hangs, not that I believe it is directly Virtual CD's fault that the R14 UI hangs. They did delay drive access, but maybe you could consider not performing any time sensitive tasks on any UI threads, this way the UI is not impacted by e.g. delayed device access?

The tooltip z-order problem is unrelated and always happens.

On a side note, it would be a good enhancement to show activity / progress while retrieving meta data, as it is now the UI shows no indication that it is still attempting to retrieve data, so I don't know if there is no data, or data is still being retrieved, this is particularly noticeable on slow or high latency connections.

P.

Same issues with ripper hanging on Meta Data. No software changes were made. No hardware changes were made. Plays CD'S without any issues. Unable to rip. Repair does nothing. If I play the entire CD first to completion sometimes I can rip but no meta data

Becoming frustrated!

Administrator